Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Missing Files" in iMovie Project

In one of my iMovie Projects, all the video clips are blank and there is a question mark icon and the words "Missing File" "'FILENAME' is Missing. Try reimporting the original source media." All the original source media files are still there (and they show an orange bar on the bottom of the portion of the file that was imported to the project), but when I try to reimport them, the re-imported clips still show up blank. I have this problem with only one of my projects, but not others. I also have photos in the project, but they are all there. It is only the videos that are "missing." Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 10:03 AM

You do have a user library folder. I don't know why it is not showing in the menu. However, try clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop. In the drop down that appears, click on Users>then your name>Library. Follow the Backups file path from there. You want your User library, not the system library.

-- Rich

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 10:03 AM in response to MitchJess

You do have a user library folder. I don't know why it is not showing in the menu. However, try clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop. In the drop down that appears, click on Users>then your name>Library. Follow the Backups file path from there. You want your User library, not the system library.

-- Rich

Dec 21, 2020 6:22 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich. I spent over an hour on the phone with Apple support, and the problem was that I had a broken pathway. The way to fix the pathway was to drag the clip into the Project Media (see picture below). This fixed the problem. I kept getting stuck because when I tried the reverse (re-importing the clip into the project), the pathway remained broken, probably because it was trying to use the same broken pathway. In any event, it's fixed now. I really appreciate all your efforts trying to solve this problem.

Dec 18, 2020 8:42 PM in response to MitchJess

That is frustrating. Hope I can help:

Can you start by going to your Desktop and clicking on your background? After that, please click:

Go (Top Menu) > Computer > Users > Your Name > Movies > Right Click on iMovie Library > Show Package Contents > Original Media. Are the video files in there? If not, please click hold and drag them into this folder.

Dec 19, 2020 8:22 AM in response to MitchJess

The good news is that the media is still there. You are dealing with a broken link between this specific project and the iMovie library.

Try deleting preferences and see if that cures it. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if the clips display properly.

If no luck, look in the iMovie Backups folder and open an earlier backup of the library that contains the project. To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before your issue started.  iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

-- Rich

"Missing Files" in iMovie Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.