Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I buy the iPad Pro or air?

Hi I am looking at an iPad I can use to annotate drawings and also sketch on, I am by no means a professional but don’t want to be restricted by the lack of promotion on the air, is this something a novice will notice or really only something the experts would need.

also in favour of the pro is the camera and increased size but is that worth £360 to me...?

any advice greatfully received.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 5:52 AM

The principal differences between the current iPad Pro models over the new fourth generation iPad Air are:

• greater screen screen size
  • four audio speakers - L/R adaptive for screen orientation (iPad Air has only two speakers on the bottom edge)
  • enhanced camera and sensor array - includes Lidar sensor
  • FaceID (iPad Air4 is TouchID)
  • 6GB RAM (the iPad Air4 has only 4GB)

The iPad Air4 does have the most recent processor - which, on the basis of published specifications and synthetic benchmark figures, may be slightly more powerful on paper. In reality, speaking personally, I wouldn’t use this alone as the basis of the decision.

Whether the major additional features/specifications (as bulleted above) justify the additional cost, is a decision that only you can make. If you are looking for the device with the greatest flexibility and features, then the iPad Pro is perhaps the better choice.

My needs likely differ from yours - but for me the iPad Pro wins hands-down. Everything else aside, the additional RAM of the Pro is a clincher.

Regardless of your eventual choice of Pro vs Air, carefully consider the economy of selecting a WiFi Only model of any iPad. Only the WiFi+Cellular models include GPS functionality - the WiFi Only models do not.

We frequently see complaints and dissatisfaction from users who subsequently learn of this limitation after purchase; not only does this fundamental difference affect the reliability and accuracy of Location Services, it can also influence use of some Apps - such as mapping. Selecting a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad doesn’t lock you in to using Cellular connectivity, but in addition to providing GPS functions, does provide the flexibility of using Cellular connectivity if your needs require this functionality.

I hope this information and insight helpfully informs your eventual decision. Either way, armed with appropriate information, I’m sure you’ll be delighted with your purchase.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 5:52 AM in response to Andrewcarr9999

The principal differences between the current iPad Pro models over the new fourth generation iPad Air are:

• greater screen screen size
  • four audio speakers - L/R adaptive for screen orientation (iPad Air has only two speakers on the bottom edge)
  • enhanced camera and sensor array - includes Lidar sensor
  • FaceID (iPad Air4 is TouchID)
  • 6GB RAM (the iPad Air4 has only 4GB)

The iPad Air4 does have the most recent processor - which, on the basis of published specifications and synthetic benchmark figures, may be slightly more powerful on paper. In reality, speaking personally, I wouldn’t use this alone as the basis of the decision.

Whether the major additional features/specifications (as bulleted above) justify the additional cost, is a decision that only you can make. If you are looking for the device with the greatest flexibility and features, then the iPad Pro is perhaps the better choice.

My needs likely differ from yours - but for me the iPad Pro wins hands-down. Everything else aside, the additional RAM of the Pro is a clincher.

Regardless of your eventual choice of Pro vs Air, carefully consider the economy of selecting a WiFi Only model of any iPad. Only the WiFi+Cellular models include GPS functionality - the WiFi Only models do not.

We frequently see complaints and dissatisfaction from users who subsequently learn of this limitation after purchase; not only does this fundamental difference affect the reliability and accuracy of Location Services, it can also influence use of some Apps - such as mapping. Selecting a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad doesn’t lock you in to using Cellular connectivity, but in addition to providing GPS functions, does provide the flexibility of using Cellular connectivity if your needs require this functionality.

I hope this information and insight helpfully informs your eventual decision. Either way, armed with appropriate information, I’m sure you’ll be delighted with your purchase.

Should I buy the iPad Pro or air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.