Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove user with "Stuck" files in the Trash Bin?

I have 2 stuck files that I cannot delete by any means (Mac Pro 2013 running macOS 11.1). I created a user and moved them to that user's Trash Bin. They won't delete there either and when I try to delete the user in User & Groups it asks for the login password. While I enter it correctly the window shakes and will not delete the temporary user. I also tried the Terminal using sudo rm- but it won't delete the files. If it makes a difference, these are ghost files from downloading macOS High Sierra and Mojave installers that I put on another SSD for use by other earlier Macs.

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 6:33 PM

Sorry to answer my own question but this turned out to be a problem with SIP, so fix it by:

1. Startup in Recovery Mode holding down the Cmd and R keys.
  2. Under the Utilities menu select Terminal, type in csrutil disable and restart normally.
  3. Move the problem files to the Trash, empty the Trash and Shut down.
  4. Startup in recovery mode again (holding Cmd and R keys), go to Utilities>Terminal, type in csrutil enable and restart normally.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 6:33 PM in response to foxEone

Sorry to answer my own question but this turned out to be a problem with SIP, so fix it by:

1. Startup in Recovery Mode holding down the Cmd and R keys.
  2. Under the Utilities menu select Terminal, type in csrutil disable and restart normally.
  3. Move the problem files to the Trash, empty the Trash and Shut down.
  4. Startup in recovery mode again (holding Cmd and R keys), go to Utilities>Terminal, type in csrutil enable and restart normally.

How to remove user with "Stuck" files in the Trash Bin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.