Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using late 2015 fusion drive as an external fusion drive.

I’m looking to replace my fusion drive on my late 2015 iMac with an internal SSD. Does anyone know if I can install the old fusion drive that I removed and use it as an external fusion drive for additional storage?

thanks

bill

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 4:44 PM

You cannot use the "Fusion Drive" setup externally.

If the hard drive is still good you can install it into an enclosure, but I would expect the hard drive is starting to wear out and getting near to failing by now. You can check the health of the hard drive by running DriveDx and posting the report for the hard drive here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

If the SSD part of the Fusion Drive is large enough you could see if OWC has an Envoy Pro Enclosure that is compatible with this SSD.

Are you installing a PCIe SSD or a 2.5" SATA SSD? If the latter, then you could leave the original Apple SSD installed (do not recreate the Fusion Drive using two SSDs).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 4:44 PM in response to n2asa

You cannot use the "Fusion Drive" setup externally.

If the hard drive is still good you can install it into an enclosure, but I would expect the hard drive is starting to wear out and getting near to failing by now. You can check the health of the hard drive by running DriveDx and posting the report for the hard drive here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

If the SSD part of the Fusion Drive is large enough you could see if OWC has an Envoy Pro Enclosure that is compatible with this SSD.

Are you installing a PCIe SSD or a 2.5" SATA SSD? If the latter, then you could leave the original Apple SSD installed (do not recreate the Fusion Drive using two SSDs).

Using late 2015 fusion drive as an external fusion drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.