Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS14 - apps randomly minimising themselves

Since upgrading to iOS 14, I’ve noticed that apps will randomly minimise themselves while I’m using them. There doesn’t appear to be any pattern to this and it can happen in any app, even when I’ve closed everything (using the long swipe up). My girlfriend and I both have iPhone XS units, hers is 64GB and mine is 256GB. I’ve asked her and she doesn’t seem to experience this issue but I do, which I find really strange.

I noticed that someone else had a similar issue but never received a response.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251976628

If anyone else is experiencing this, could you please advise if you had any luck fixing it?

thank you!

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 4:52 AM

5 replies

Dec 28, 2020 7:25 AM in response to TheSerialKiller

Thanks for getting back to us, TheSerialKiller!

You've tried excellent steps so far and, at this point, it would be a good idea to be sure there is not a software issue as the root cause of this for you.

Take care and keep us posted on the results!

Jan 25, 2021 10:22 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks guys, I figured out what the issue was. When I upgraded, I enabled the “back tap” function when I upgraded to iOS14 and forgot about it. Today, I was reading a news article that mentioned it and I remembered I had switched it on, so I thought I’d switch it off and see what happens. Problem solved and no reset required!

The back tap function must be a bit buggy which is why it happens randomly, but I’m glad I figured out what the problem is. Posting the solution here for anyone else that might also be experiencing the same issue.

Dec 22, 2020 12:04 PM in response to TheSerialKiller

Hello, TheSerialKiller!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have an issue with your apps minimizing randomly on your device. First, we recommend checking out this article with steps for How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and quit the apps running in the background. Once they're closed, Restart your iPhone and test to see if the issues are still going on.

We also suggest checking out this article to Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and be sure you're running the latest software version. 

Let us know the results and have a great day!

Dec 25, 2020 4:13 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hey CarlAVII,

Thanks for the reply! I’ve tried closing everything open (which seems to help but not fix the issue entirely) as well as a few reboots but the issue persists.

I’m also on iOS14.3 which still seems to have the issue. I also note that others are having a similar issue but it doesn’t seem to affect everyone (my girlfriend, for example does not have the same problem).

I’d love to know what causes this, it seems to be a bug introduced into iOS14 judging by the fact that someone else has also experienced it, but I don’t know for sure.

Thanks

iOS14 - apps randomly minimising themselves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.