Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pairing Apple Watch to iPhone 12 Pro Max

Is anyone else having issues with pairing an Apple Watch series 6 with an iPhone 12/iPhone 12 Pro? The watch pairs to an iPhone X and iPhone 7 with no problem. Feel like from what I’ve been reading there are Bluetooth issues with the iPhone 12’s. My phone is currently up to date with OS 14.3.

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 4:54 PM

5 replies

Dec 23, 2020 9:17 AM in response to Mcarloss88

Hello Mcarloss88,

It sounds like you are unable to pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone 12. We understand how inconvenient this is and we are here to help.

First, let's start off with the steps outlined here: Set up your Apple Watch

Specifically the section titled "If you can't set up your Apple Watch or you get an error message."

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Which watchOS version do you currently have installed? Also, are you getting any error messages when attempting to pair?

Cheers!

Dec 23, 2020 10:54 AM in response to Mcarloss88

Mcarloss88,

Thank you for those details. You have done some great troubleshooting steps. Are you able to pair it to your wife's iPhone again and attempt to complete the update? The latest update available would be watchOS 7.2

This article may be able to help: Update your Apple Watch

Once you update, attempt to pair it to your iPhone again and let us know the results.

Take Care!

Dec 23, 2020 10:16 AM in response to sterling r

Hi sterling r,

I reviewed and followed the steps in section titled "If you can't set up your Apple Watch or you get an error message.” And still having no luck.

I have also reset my network connections multiple times.

When I paired the Watch to my old iPhone 7(now my wife’s phone) I was able to update the watch iOS to 7.1. and pairing was a breeze. Her iPhone was also running on iOS 14.3 which my iPhone 12 currently has as well.

Attached is a screenshot of the page in the watch app of my iPhone 12 Pro Max where it freezes , then says on the watch to bring the devices closer together. But the are literally touching each other during the process

I’ve also bypassed the update now screen in the watch app by clicking “skip update and continue” but it still freezes on the following screen, then eventually starts the unpairing process. Lastly I’ve deleted the watch app and reinstalled per Apple supports recommendation and no luck. Definitely think something is wrong either hardware or software related on the iPhone 12. But it does connect to other Bluetooth devices and works fine. Wish I could setup an in person appointment to have someone else try with another iPhone 12 but there is limited access to that right now due to Covid.

Thanks,

Dec 25, 2020 10:23 AM in response to karina184

Hi karina184,

Thank you for the reply. I paired the watch to my wife’s iPhone 7, and was able to update it to OS 7.2. I then unpaired the watch and reset. However still no luck with pairing to my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It doesn’t ask to update anymore in the watch app however is still stuck on the “Connecting your Apple Watch. This may take a moment” screen, which eventually leads to the unpairing.

Thanks,

Pairing Apple Watch to iPhone 12 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.