Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i am connected to router via ethernet cable. i cannot reach any web site in safari

I am connected on my iMac via Ethernet cable. Connection is active but in Safari I can’t reach any sites. I get message ‘safari cannot connect to the server”. I can reach sites using the router on my phone so it is not a router problem

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 9:41 AM

I would first go to System Preferences and check your setup under Network to ensure that they are still correct. If so, try first restarting your computer and then you can also reset your router. Your Mac is connected via a cable. Be sure that it is properly connected and is not defective. Your phone is using a wireless connection, so their access is different. Have you tried to have the Mac access the router via wireless to see if that works? Doing these things may help to isolate what the problem is.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 9:41 AM in response to Jimglock

I would first go to System Preferences and check your setup under Network to ensure that they are still correct. If so, try first restarting your computer and then you can also reset your router. Your Mac is connected via a cable. Be sure that it is properly connected and is not defective. Your phone is using a wireless connection, so their access is different. Have you tried to have the Mac access the router via wireless to see if that works? Doing these things may help to isolate what the problem is.

i am connected to router via ethernet cable. i cannot reach any web site in safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.