Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burning smell from MacBook Pro charger

There’s a burning smell coming from the charger right at the MagSafe connection point (MacBook Pro 2013). Now it won’t charge anymore. I have work to do and can’t use my computer... worried also that I can’t make it in to an Apple store to diagnose/fix due to the packed holiday and pandemic-type appointments near me. What’s the best way to solve this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 10:56 PM

“What’s the best way to solve this?”

Two options: (A) Buy a replacement charger as the one you have is obviously faulty. Use the online store and have it delivered or click/collect. (B) Make an appointment to have it diagnosed. When it’s confirmed the charger is faulty you’ll be quoted for a new one. It will be replaced not repaired.

If it was me I would cut out any potential worries you may have and purchase a replacement charger which you’d have to do anyway.

Good luck

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 10:56 PM in response to ford519

“What’s the best way to solve this?”

Two options: (A) Buy a replacement charger as the one you have is obviously faulty. Use the online store and have it delivered or click/collect. (B) Make an appointment to have it diagnosed. When it’s confirmed the charger is faulty you’ll be quoted for a new one. It will be replaced not repaired.

If it was me I would cut out any potential worries you may have and purchase a replacement charger which you’d have to do anyway.

Good luck

Burning smell from MacBook Pro charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.