Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch

If I buy Apple Watch 6 series

will it work in other countries ? Why I ask is : as it says providers vodafone EE o2 only..

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 8:10 AM

Maybe.

Since I do not know in what capacity you intend to use your Apple Watch in different countries, I'm going try and think of different situations.

If you are just traveling on business/pleasure, then the Apple Watch Does NOT support roaming. When you leave your providers coverage area, the Apple Watch will behave as if it was a GPS only model, and provide all the same functionss As Long As the iPhone is nearby, until you return to your cellular providers coverage area.

If you are moving to a different country, then it depends on 2 things:

A) The Apple Watch comes in 2 different cellular radio models

• Canada, U.S., Mexico, Puerto Rico
  • The rest of the world

If you are going to moving from the UK to Canada, U.S., Mexico or Puerto Rico, then your UK cellular radio is not compatible.

B) If you are moving to a "Rest of the World" country, then will the new iPhone cellular provider accept an Apple Watch from the UK on their network, or will they try to extract money from you by insisting you buy the Apple Watch from them. The Apple Watch should work in any country that uses the same cellular radio, but not all cellular providers cooperate.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 8:10 AM in response to sonal273

Maybe.

Since I do not know in what capacity you intend to use your Apple Watch in different countries, I'm going try and think of different situations.

If you are just traveling on business/pleasure, then the Apple Watch Does NOT support roaming. When you leave your providers coverage area, the Apple Watch will behave as if it was a GPS only model, and provide all the same functionss As Long As the iPhone is nearby, until you return to your cellular providers coverage area.

If you are moving to a different country, then it depends on 2 things:

A) The Apple Watch comes in 2 different cellular radio models

• Canada, U.S., Mexico, Puerto Rico
  • The rest of the world

If you are going to moving from the UK to Canada, U.S., Mexico or Puerto Rico, then your UK cellular radio is not compatible.

B) If you are moving to a "Rest of the World" country, then will the new iPhone cellular provider accept an Apple Watch from the UK on their network, or will they try to extract money from you by insisting you buy the Apple Watch from them. The Apple Watch should work in any country that uses the same cellular radio, but not all cellular providers cooperate.

Dec 21, 2020 11:35 AM in response to sonal273

By "Here" I assume you are saying UK. Then it is really no different. Technically it is the same Apple Watch as sold in India, so as long as the India cellular provider does not try to convince you that you need to buy the Apple Watch in India so they get more money out of you, it should work. It does not matter whether you activate it in the UK, or leave the cellular radio un-activated until you get to India. It is all about the India carrier agreeing to activate the Apple Watch on your India iPhone plan, and that the Apple Watch uses the same cellular radio, which for UK and India they do.

The Cellular + GPS Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and the carriers that support the Apple Watch charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month. Here is a list of carriers that support the Apple Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

If you do not get your Apple Watch in your own country, you may have to return the Apple Watch to the country where purchased to get warranty service.

If you do not get your Apple Watch in your own country, there may be country specific restrictions in the installed Apple Watch software that prevent features from working when you get home.

https://www.apple.com/watchos/feature-availability

The warranty is definitely going to be UK specific. I do not think there are any extra UK restrictions that would affect your use in India, but you should check the feature availability link to make sure.

Dec 21, 2020 9:01 AM in response to sonal273

That would be a "Roaming" situation, so your Apple Watch would revert to GPS only mode. So if you keep your iPhone nearby all the time, you will not really notice that you are not using cellular.

If you were to get a local India cellular provider for your iPhone, _AND_ that provider supported the Apple Watch, _AND_ the provider did not give you a hard time about adding an UK Apple Watch to their network, then you could use the Apple Watch cellular in india paired to your iPhone that is now using the India provider. This is not totally far fetched, as if your iPhone has dual SIM/eSIM support, you might be able to add the 2nd India provider as an eSIM (assuming that India provider supports eSIM, and Suppprts the Apple Watch via an iPhone eSIM).

Apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.