Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Mac with 10.15.7. but can't find a GarageBand app that will download. Any suggestions?

I have a Mac with 10.15.7. but can't find a GarageBand app that will download. Any suggestions?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 5:38 PM

If you have downloaded it before, it will be in your Purchased tab.

If you haven't, you're possibly out of luck unless you install Bug Sur. Er, I mean Big Sur, of course. ;)

Note that you don't have to install Big Sur over your Catalina system. Catalina allows the creation of partitions on the fly, so if you have enough free space on your drive, make an additional partition of, say, 50 GB and instal Big Sur on it. Then you can download GarageBand from there. Once downloaded, it will appear in your Catalina App Store as well, offering v10.3.5 which is the last compatible Catalina version.

For the record, I tested all that just last weekend while downgrading a buddy's brand new MacBook Air to Catalina, after he accidentally clicked the "Upgrade to Big Sur" button. Downloading GarageBand on Catalina was no problem. (The MacOS downgrade was far from trivial though…)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 5:38 PM in response to dhcrow

If you have downloaded it before, it will be in your Purchased tab.

If you haven't, you're possibly out of luck unless you install Bug Sur. Er, I mean Big Sur, of course. ;)

Note that you don't have to install Big Sur over your Catalina system. Catalina allows the creation of partitions on the fly, so if you have enough free space on your drive, make an additional partition of, say, 50 GB and instal Big Sur on it. Then you can download GarageBand from there. Once downloaded, it will appear in your Catalina App Store as well, offering v10.3.5 which is the last compatible Catalina version.

For the record, I tested all that just last weekend while downgrading a buddy's brand new MacBook Air to Catalina, after he accidentally clicked the "Upgrade to Big Sur" button. Downloading GarageBand on Catalina was no problem. (The MacOS downgrade was far from trivial though…)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.