Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two iPads share password file, but only one reads it

Older iPad on iOS 14.2 shares password file with newer iPad mini iOS 14.2. They both have the same password file, but the mini gives you the option of filling in logins from the password file, while the other iPad doesn’t. I’ve read all the online files I can, and the iPad seems to have everything turned on that it’s supposed to, but I have to manually go into the password file and copy and paste. What am I missing?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 8:37 AM

You need to verify that both Keychain and Autofill Passwords are explicitly enabled on all devices:

Settings > [Your Name /AppleID] > iCloud > Keychain > iCloud Keychain - set to ON

Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords - set to ON

Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords > [AutoFill from] iCloud Keychain - enable/tick

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 8:37 AM in response to phmanatee

You need to verify that both Keychain and Autofill Passwords are explicitly enabled on all devices:

Settings > [Your Name /AppleID] > iCloud > Keychain > iCloud Keychain - set to ON

Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords - set to ON

Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords > [AutoFill from] iCloud Keychain - enable/tick

Dec 23, 2020 12:38 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you! I was caught by the Settings inconsistency of the last item you listed. Usually items that can be turned on or off have an ON slider or the item has an arrow after it that you click on to bring up the next screen which lets you pick the setting. This item had iCloud Keychain listed with nothing after it, and I assumed that meant it was ON. Wrong! You had to click on that item (nothing on the page indicated what to do) and it got a check item after it. It now works.

Two iPads share password file, but only one reads it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.