Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disable spellcheck entirely

I disable spellchecking in an application (for example, Apple Notes). After I quit the app and launch it again. Spellchecking is active again. No matter what I do, it is only a temporary solution.

I want to disable spellcheck entirely in all of MacOS. I don't mind installing additional app? Is this possible in any way?

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 8:40 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 24, 2020 9:25 AM in response to NecmettinBegiter

You could try.

With Apps like Pages, Numbers and Keynote I'm seeing two places (besides System Preferences) to set Auto-Correction.

Edit (menu) > Spelling and Grammar > Check Spelling While Typing (etc) - uncheck those.

and [App] > Preferences > Auto-Correction

I'm not seeing the separate Auto-Correction Preferences within Notes however.

Try turning it off everywhere you can find it of course.

Dec 28, 2020 8:30 AM in response to NecmettinBegiter

I think the issue is an App's Auto-Correct settings take priority over [global] System Preferences. Those System Preferences will be in effect if the App has no separate settings, but if the app has its own settings they will be used.

Testing with Pages for example,

if the System Preferences are set to not check spelling:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > [ ] Correct spelling automatically (unchecked)

but Pages is set to check spelling:

Pages > Preferences > Auto-Correction > [ √ ] Correct spelling automatically (checked)

Pages will check spelling, overriding System Preferences.

Similarly, the Safari spelling settings will take priority over System Preferences

[Safari] Edit > Spelling and Grammar [ √ ] Check Spelling While Typing and [ √ ] Correct Spelling Automatically

This is similar to the scope of variables in programming. Local variables have priority over global variables.

So there appears to be no global system setting that will disable spell checking across the board.

ivan

Dec 24, 2020 12:00 PM in response to ivan54

In Notes, when I disable spellchecking, quit and reopen Notes, spellchecking is back on.

I guess there is a misunderstanding here. I'm not looking for a way to disable auto-correction. I'm looking for a way to disable spellchecking entirely.

I've disabled "Add period with double space" just like the others. Let's see if that will have any effect.

disable spellcheck entirely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.