Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back Up

A few years ago, I backed up my old phone onto iTunes. I then saved the backup in a folder onto my Mac. I am now going through my pictures, but a lot of them are showing up as blank. When I open the photos a ton of coded text shows up on a document. Does anyone know if it is possible to restore the pictures?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 11:47 PM

I assume you're trying to open files directly from the backup.

iOS devices backups are not supposed to be navigable and usable the way files and folders in the Finder are.

Backups are meant to be recovered in their entirety in case of loss or when migrating to another device.

If your backup has not been modified or damaged it can probably be restored to your iPhone. However, you should note that restoring a backup to a given device will erase everything on that device. You would have to backup your iPhone, restore the old backup, extract the pictures you want then restore the newer backup to the iPhone again.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 11:47 PM in response to Alani2004

I assume you're trying to open files directly from the backup.

iOS devices backups are not supposed to be navigable and usable the way files and folders in the Finder are.

Backups are meant to be recovered in their entirety in case of loss or when migrating to another device.

If your backup has not been modified or damaged it can probably be restored to your iPhone. However, you should note that restoring a backup to a given device will erase everything on that device. You would have to backup your iPhone, restore the old backup, extract the pictures you want then restore the newer backup to the iPhone again.

Dec 22, 2020 11:51 PM in response to Piqûre

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. The problem is that when I went to put this backup onto my new phone, it continuously caused issues on any new phone (tried on 3 different phones). I was told that it was corrupted and to just keep it on my Mac to access all of the saved dat. I wondering if there was any other way to recover these photos? Thank you so much for all of your help.

Dec 24, 2020 10:02 AM in response to Alani2004

Sorry to hear to about your problem. Nothing worse than losing personal photos and videos.

Corrupted backups are not common but they happen. Do keep the files on your Mac, yes.

I know there are third-party software that can help but now is not the time to learn. I suggest you bring your problem to a local Apple head with experience in that kind of issue. A good one will work in your home while you're watching. He will work on a copy of the files residing on your Mac if he knows what he is doing.

Good luck.

Back Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.