Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Garageband on Catalina

I'm working on a MacBook Air 2012 running OS 10.15.7 (19H15) Catalina.

I've used Garageband in the past, but deleted it from my laptop when I didn't use it and needed the space. Now I do need Garageband. I've reinstalled it from the app store (that worked well).

-> However, when I try to open Garageband, I get a message that I have to install a newer version (and it does not open).

-> When I go to the app store and try to update Garageband, I get a message that a newer version can't be installed because I need OS 11.

-> But OS11 can't be installed on a MacBook Air from 2012.

So I seem to be stuck in this loop. How can I solve this???

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 4:49 AM

The version of Garageband that is downloaded is version 6. So a very old one. I can't upgrade it in the App Store, because then I get the message that I have to upgrade my laptop to Mac OS11.

How can I solve this?

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 23, 2020 4:57 AM in response to EllenApple

Aha, that could be the problem because it counts as a unique app. (For what it's worth, for testing purposes I was still able to download v6.0.5 just yesterday, and it still works on High Sierra, probably even on Mojave. Yay, nostalgia! :)

Anyway…

In that case, just last night I was thinking of a hypothetical workaround:

What you could try is to ask a buddy with a Mac running Big Sur to lend it to you.

Then temporarily log into the App Store using your Apple ID and download GB "pro forma" on their Mac.

Then it should appear in your Purchased tab on your Mac, and you should be able to download v10.3.5.

But I can't test it because I don't have a Big Sur compatible Mac either.

Dec 23, 2020 8:07 AM in response to léonie

I was eventually able to make GB6 (aka GB'11) run on Mojave by downloading the "GarageBand 11 Compatibility Sounds and Instruments" via Logic Pro X's Sound Library Manager. But I guess it would have also worked if I had replaced the GB's/Logic's Sound Library folders with symbolic links to one of the other partitions with a full installation already intact. (Because that's the whole "trick" how Logic's "Relocate Sound Library" command works. ;)

Nonetheless, GB6 then choked on Apple's preinstalled AU plugins on Mojave! D'oh! Its built-in AU Validator just hangs. I had to force quit GB6 again and again, until GB6 marked all plugins as incompatible.

Installing the lessons also fails. Obviously the custom built-in installer doesn't get any permission to run:

Installation of /var/folders/jt/ctnf15_170sb8btbc5ysfskc0000gn/C/com.apple.GarageBand/downloads.apple.com/static/gb/gb11bc/GarageBandBasicContent.pkg didFailWithError:Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-2147409654 "CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED" UserInfo={SecTrustResult=5, NSLocalizedFailureReason=CSSMERR_TP_CERT_EXPIRED}

Which means: I should have looked at the Console before, ha!

https://downloads.apple.com/static/gb/gb11bc/GarageBandBasicContent.pkg

That's what's missing.

You can then run the standard Mojave installer to install it separately.

GB6 will then still report an AU validation error on launch and ask for the lessons download. Just click Cancel.

To remove the Lessons download prompt for good, you may need to open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.garageband.plist with a plist editor (use e.g. Prefs Editor or the Terminal if you know what you're doing) and remove the "downloadStarted", "numRetry", "pkgName" and "url" keys from the "DfPrefs_ActiveMentorDownloads" dictionary. (For those folks who don't understand what I'm talking about: better just leave it alone for now. :)

Other than that, GarageBand 6.0.5 works on Mojave.

Have fun!

Dec 23, 2020 5:40 AM in response to Lukas

Lukas wrote:
v6.0.5 […], probably even on Mojave.

(Just for the record: Nope, download of GB v6 doesn't work for me on Mojave. That could be due to general App Store issues I was experiencing on Mojave in the past few weeks. I can launch an existing copy of GarageBand 6 from another partition, so essentially it would still be compatible. But it gives me an error while wanting to install the required Library files: however, that could be because my Mojave partition is running out of storage, and there's simply not enough space to complete the instalation.)

Dec 23, 2020 5:40 AM in response to Lukas

Ah, that workaround solved it all. It was even more simply than you suggested. I have an iMac here at home, running Big Sur, without GarageBand installed on it. So I started the installation on the iMac, and then I could easily upgrade my MacBook Air (which is connected to my drum set). So now I can make tracks with my own music on my old laptop. AWESOME!

Thanks for your fast reply, That made my day :-)

Dec 23, 2020 6:21 AM in response to Lukas

Lukas wrote:

Lukas wrote:
v6.0.5 […], probably even on Mojave.

(Just for the record: Nope, download of GB v6 doesn't work for me on Mojave. That could be due to general App Store issues I was experiencing on Mojave in the past few weeks. I can launch an existing copy of GarageBand 6 from another partition, so essentially it would still be compatible. But it gives me an error while wanting to install the required Library files: however, that could be because my Mojave partition is running out of storage, and there's simply not enough space to complete the instalation.)

GarageBand 6.0.5 is working well for me on Mojave, but cannot run on Catalina because of 32-bit frameworks. Reinstalling from the AppStore is occasionally working, but not always. But the AppStore is still showing the download in my purchases.

I am keeping two of my Macs running Mojave just to be able to use the older GarageBand version and Aperture.

Dec 23, 2020 6:33 AM in response to EllenApple

GarageBand 6.0.5 is from 2015, the last version of Garageband '11. Garageband 10 is the direct successor to GarageBans 6.0.5. GB 6.0.5 offers quite a few features, that the newer GarageBand 10 does not support, for examples the Podcast feature or the Sound Effects instrument, automatic Ducking, it is easier to change the pitch of Audio Files. GarareBand 6.0.5 has more software instrument loops than GarageBand 10. What is missing in GarageBand 6.0.5 are smart instruments and arpeggiators. I am still using the older version a lot, at least to create my projects.

Can't install Garageband on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.