Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select 3G ONLY on iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.3

Why do apple simply remove the feature to be able to lock the phone to only use 3G just because the new phones support 5G.

The majority of the users will probably not be seeing 5G for quite some time, because believe it or not, some people live far away from big cities.

Why would I want to lock my phone to use 3G only? Well the 3G coverage is great around here. 4G? Not so much. the phone will occasionally switch to 4G, realize that the connection is completely dead, and then switch back to 3G.

That's why I have to lock my phone to 3G at home If I want a good experience.

So I went ahead, the dumb brainwashed apple user that I am, and bought the most expensive iPhone.

Well that was dumb, because it's worse. Since I can't lock it to 3G.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 7:38 AM

Yes I know, but you might be aware of the option to lock the phone to only use 3G or 4G on previous models. The new iPhone 12 models still support 3G but they removed the option to only use 3G. That's a problem and there is no good reason why they would remove that option in the software.

6 replies

Dec 23, 2020 7:55 AM in response to AnderssonC

AnderssonC wrote:

Yes I know, but you might be aware of the option to lock the phone to only use 3G or 4G on previous models. The new iPhone 12 models still support 3G but they removed the option to only use 3G. That's a problem and there is no good reason why they would remove that option in the software.

That option is only there if the carrier allows it to be. And, apparently, a lot of carriers are not including that option in their carrier settings for the iPhone 12 models.

Dec 23, 2020 8:26 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Oh I see, I was not aware that the carrier controls those settings in there. Oh well, I'll have to contact them I guess. Or just live with these connection issues.

I doubt I'll see good 4G or 5G where I live for years to come. It's in the middle of the woods, but I don't have to drive for more than 5 minutes until I reach really fast 4G speeds in a small town.

It's been like that for the past 4 years at least. Hence why I wanted to lock it to 3G when I'm at home.

Dec 23, 2020 9:46 AM in response to AnderssonC

AnderssonC wrote:

Oh I see, I was not aware that the carrier controls those settings in there. Oh well, I'll have to contact them I guess. Or just live with these connection issues.

It's unlikely that they will be able to change that just for you. But, never hurts to ask!

I doubt I'll see good 4G or 5G where I live for years to come. It's in the middle of the woods, but I don't have to drive for more than 5 minutes until I reach really fast 4G speeds in a small town.
It's been like that for the past 4 years at least. Hence why I wanted to lock it to 3G when I'm at home.

Are you using WiFi calling at home? Is that a feature your carrier offers?

Can't select 3G ONLY on iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.