Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text tone/notifications

Text tone/notifications does not sound with reply. I’ve researched over and over and cannot find “enough” information about the meaning, and TOTAL function of the 1/2 moon that automatically appears to the left of a text message. Also the bell with the slash through it when sliding finger to the left on the right side of messages. I tried all settings as directed for messages, sound, notifications, etc. over and over again tried setting to alert with choice of MY selected sound but still in this silence mode. HELP! I want to get rid of this 1/2 moon and slashed through bell.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 8:38 AM

The 1/2 moon icon that you identify means that the message has Hide Alerts activated. That would silence any notification for the message. To turn that off, you would go to the message, tap on the name at the top, then tap on Info, then you will see the switch for Hide Alerts. The slashed bell is the same notification. If you are aware of how to slide the message to see that bell, then if you tap on it again, it will change to a bell without a slash and the 1/2 moon icon will disappear, turning off Hide Alerts. So, either method will work.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2020 8:38 AM in response to WorkingToUnderstand

The 1/2 moon icon that you identify means that the message has Hide Alerts activated. That would silence any notification for the message. To turn that off, you would go to the message, tap on the name at the top, then tap on Info, then you will see the switch for Hide Alerts. The slashed bell is the same notification. If you are aware of how to slide the message to see that bell, then if you tap on it again, it will change to a bell without a slash and the 1/2 moon icon will disappear, turning off Hide Alerts. So, either method will work.

Text tone/notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.