Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock restarts and window outlines overlay screen

Since I upgraded to 11.1 I have periodic problems where the dock goes away, I see a bunch of translucent window outlines over my screen for a half-minute or so, and then the dock comes back.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 4:06 PM

6 replies

Dec 23, 2020 4:42 PM in response to beirnek

beirnek Said:

"Dock restarts and window outlines overlay screen: Since I upgraded to 11.1 I have periodic problems where the dock goes away, I see a bunch of translucent window outlines over my screen for a half-minute or so, and then the dock comes back."

-------

Two Thoughts:

• Ghost Image:

See this Post's Answer: Ghost image on my iMac screen!!! - Apple Community

Create a background image with the color of the window. Use that as a screen saver for several nights, and eventually the ghost image might vanish.

• Image Persistence:

Go Here: Avoiding Image Persistence on Apple LCD displays - Apple Support. Try what is on that site.

Dec 23, 2020 4:53 PM in response to beirnek

beirnek Said:

"I should add that when the dock comes back the window overlay also goes away. It's a transient problem, not a ghost image."

-------

Thank you for clarifying that...

Perform both of the following:

A. Relaunch Finder:

What happens when you relaunch Finder?

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Finder
  4. Click: Relaunch button
  5. Click: Relaunch button

And...

B. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Display) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. It might take up to 3 times to successfully reset both of these, so be certain you have the time to do so.

Dec 27, 2020 6:46 PM in response to beirnek

beirnek Said:

"Dock restarts and window outlines overlay screen: It turns out that the problem was running Path Finder and EarthDesk at the same time. I've done that before without conflicts, but it turns out there are known issues between the two programs. I fixed the problem by not using Path Finder anymore."

-------

Most certainly report this application conflict-issue to Apple:

Where and How to Officially Report this Bug:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Applications/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Dock restarts and window outlines overlay screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.