Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows iTunes can't find software to restore iPod Nano 7G

We recently bought a second-hand iPod Nano 7G. When we plugged it into our Windows 10 computer, iTunes displayed the following error message:

"iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

I assume this was because it had been previously registered with another user.

It displays the Restore screen showing:

"Software Version 1.0.4

If you are experiencing problems with this iPod, you can restore its original settings by clicking Restore iPod."

It has two options: "Check for Update" (disabled) and "Restore iPod..." Clicking this, we get the message:

"Are you sure you want to restore the iPod "iPod" to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased." Clicking "Restore" then generates the following error message:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPod "iPod". You do not have enough access privileges for this operation."

Clicking "More Info" launches a webpage which no longer exists.

It is as if iTunes can no longer find the 1.0.4 software to download.

How do I restore the iPod Nano 7G?

iPod nano (7th Gen)

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 9:49 AM

Hi Francesnz,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. Sound like you are having trouble getting your iPod nano restore using iTunes on your PC, do we have that right? Are you in an admin account or in a guest account? Is the latest version of iTunes installed? You may need to run as an administrator by going to Settings > All Programs > iTunes Folder > Right click iTunes program icon and hit Run as Administrator. Once that's done, let see if this continues.

If this continues, you may need to delete iTunes and re-install iTunes. Check out: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 9:49 AM in response to francesnz

Hi Francesnz,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. Sound like you are having trouble getting your iPod nano restore using iTunes on your PC, do we have that right? Are you in an admin account or in a guest account? Is the latest version of iTunes installed? You may need to run as an administrator by going to Settings > All Programs > iTunes Folder > Right click iTunes program icon and hit Run as Administrator. Once that's done, let see if this continues.

If this continues, you may need to delete iTunes and re-install iTunes. Check out: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Hope that helps!

Jan 13, 2021 1:01 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks for your help and apologies for the delay in responding. The latest version of iTunes was installed, but I decided to do a full uninstall (as we would have installed it before iTunes went to Microsoft Store. After fully uninstalling it and the ipod components, I reinstalled iTunes from Microsoft Store. After connecting the iPod nano, iTunes successfully restored the device! I now have one very delighted 15 year old daughter. Again, thanks for your help.

Windows iTunes can't find software to restore iPod Nano 7G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.