Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should i shut down my Macbook Air M1 every night?

Should I shut down my Macbook Air M1 every night? Or should I just put it to sleep? How do both options affect battery life and laptop performance?

Thanks for responding

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 5:11 PM

There is no power nap option in big sur and in M1 macbooks. You can see the screenshot.

more over, macbooks with m1 processor, do drain battery even if they are SHUT DOWN. Why? i have no idea, but it seems the case as a properly turned off macbook air m1 will drain 3-4% battery in 24 hours, which is not the case in older macbooks.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 5:11 PM in response to FoxFifth

There is no power nap option in big sur and in M1 macbooks. You can see the screenshot.

more over, macbooks with m1 processor, do drain battery even if they are SHUT DOWN. Why? i have no idea, but it seems the case as a properly turned off macbook air m1 will drain 3-4% battery in 24 hours, which is not the case in older macbooks.

Dec 24, 2020 8:59 AM in response to iGirl21

Just letting it sleep doesn't impact the battery. I rarely shut my MacBook Pro down and did the same with previous Mac laptops. If the battery is 100% at night it is 100% in the morning. I have Apple menu > System Preferences > Battery > Battery(in the side bar) > "Enable Power Nap while on battery power" turned off.

Should i shut down my Macbook Air M1 every night?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.