Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Point Music Library at NAS Drive

Back about 5 versions ago, I put my entire iTunes music library on a NAS drive. Through several upgrades, I have now arrived at Apple Music on Big Sur. But now the library is all screwed up. The files still exist on the NAS drive, and if a file belongs to a playlist, I can play that song just fine. But the Library root somehow got repointed at my hard drive. The upshot is it thinks that all files that are not a part of a playlist are on my hard drive ... which they are not. When I try to change the library directory to my NAS drive, I cannot even pick it (even though the NAS drive shows up in Finder).

I have to say - I have had three generations of iPod Touches (including a brand new 7th Gen) and my general experience gets worse with each upgrade. Very disappointing.

iPod, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 8:33 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 13, 2021 4:32 AM in response to Limnos

And that still works.

i am running regular backups of the library file now that I can go back to if needed (and I need to way to often).

however, having a very similar setup my music library does not sync with iCloud music anymore without screwing everything up.

i agree that the experience is getting worse with each new version of iTunes/music / macOS.

i am back to syncing with a cable and through the (now) finder music sync to my iPhone.

Jan 13, 2021 7:24 AM in response to cariecke

Having a library on an external drive is good but can have this problem, particularly if it is a NAS. If the external drive or NAS is not fully mounted, or is asleep, when you start Music, it will default to looking on the boot drive. Some people have resolved this by using a double alias. Make an alias to Music and put this on the NAS. Make an alias of that alias and put it in your Dock. If you start Music using the Dock icon and the NAS is not mounted it will pop up an error message instead of changing your settings. I suppose an even more elegant method would be to use an Applescript to make sure the NAS is mounted, and if it wasn't, to mount it and then start Music.

Can't Point Music Library at NAS Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.