Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone/iPad email is NOT being encrypted

I received a system alert that informing me that my iPhone is not encrypting my mail. So I checked my mail settings and discovered that the system alert is correct! So, does anyone know how I go about changing my mail settings from “no” to “yes” for “encrypt by default?”

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 5:46 PM

You cannot enable encryption since you also have no S/MIME certificates installed (the “sign” button saying “No”). Encrypting email is not as simple as flipping one switch, you need to install a security certificate first.

See -> https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/encrypting-email-ios-mail/ and https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/macos-using-email-encryption-apples-mail/

iCloud email between your devices and Apple’s mail servers is encrypted in transit (iCloud security overview - Apple Support) but almost all other email doesn’t by default set your account up for encryption from sender to receiver, which is what those settings are for.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 5:46 PM in response to HoneyHoneyHoney

You cannot enable encryption since you also have no S/MIME certificates installed (the “sign” button saying “No”). Encrypting email is not as simple as flipping one switch, you need to install a security certificate first.

See -> https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/encrypting-email-ios-mail/ and https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/macos-using-email-encryption-apples-mail/

iCloud email between your devices and Apple’s mail servers is encrypted in transit (iCloud security overview - Apple Support) but almost all other email doesn’t by default set your account up for encryption from sender to receiver, which is what those settings are for.

Jan 12, 2021 5:53 PM in response to HoneyHoneyHoney

With Apple iCloud email, emails are encrypted between your Apple iCloud mail account on the server and your devices. In other words, when you open your mail app and read an iCloud email, it is encrypted while it is being transmitted to your device from Apple’s server. Similarly, when you send an email, it is encrypted in transmission between your device and Apple’s servers.

It is NOT encrypted when Apple’s services send that email on to the recipient, because that can only be done if you and the recipient have set up common encryption and exchanged appropriate encryption keys with each other. So as I said before, if you want to actually send and receive encrypted emails with someone then both parties need to set up encryption with their email.

Messages in iCloud are also encrypted when being sent or received by your devices, and when stored in your iCloud account, as well as when being transmitted to any recipient. But end to end encryption of iMessages is possible because it’s a closed system - Apple owns it and runs it and it only works between Apple devices. So they can ensure that everyone is using the same app, the same online source and thus the same encryption system and settings. Some other closed environment, proprietary internet messaging services (e,g. WhatsApp) also offer end to end encryption because again, everyone is on the same closed messaging system where the owner can control the traffic. Although note that not all internet messaging services offer full end to end encryption.

But there are countless email service providers and systems around the world, so the only way to encrypt email end to end is for individual users to set it up with their account and their contacts. It’s impossible for any email service provider to set up encryption because they cannot control the receiving account systems.

iCloud security overview - Apple Support

Jan 12, 2021 7:07 PM in response to Michael Black

Thank you for explaining all of that. I truly do appreciate it. That Apple mail needs certificates on both ends makes perfect sense as you explained it. And what you explained about iMessage encryption is about what I’d understood all along, so thank you for verifying that. Since we’re in the same page at this point, and if I haven’t driven you to drink by now, could you please explain why I got this message on my iPhone?

Dec 24, 2020 5:58 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

Thanks so much for replying. I really appreciate it.

No, tapping doesn’t work.

And yes, I do normally have account changes locked under restrictions, but I turned off restrictions and it doesn’t help. It’s like they are crazy-glued in the off position.

A few days ago I updated to iOS 14.3 and that didn’t help either.

Any other suggestions?

How does the encryption actually happen? Is it a hardware chip in my iPhone orc is it part of the iOS operating system?

Jan 12, 2021 1:55 PM in response to Michael Black

Thank you for the clarification on Apple email encryption., it will probably be helpful to some folks in this community. However, I was not asking about third party email—I probably should have made that clearer. I was talking about “Apple to Apple” email and iOS/iPadOS text messages.

I received a system alert that my iPhone messages were NOT being encrypted and that my iPhone is NOT secure. So I tried the only thing I have control over—email settings. That’s why I asked about the frozen “off” switches in my email settings earlier.

What I need is an explanation as to why I would receive that system message and how to fix my encryption and secure my iPhone (and my iPad). So for starters, would you be kind enough to explain how encryption is accomplished on the iPhone and iPad?

I assume it is done with hardware, firmware, or as a function within the operating system. It is clearly a function that can be turned on and off or overridden by either Apple or a Carrier (or hackers?) Apparently Apple’s appleID security settings are variable. It is my understanding that Apple (or some higher system management level controls security settings for appleID’s, not the user. Is that your understanding as well?

This is important since I use iCloud for my texts—so they are being stored in the cloud UNencryoted. Also, it means that texts between myself and my children are sent UNencrypted. I consider this a rather significant security risk, especially since children are involved. So any assistance in resolving this problem would be much appreciated. Thank you again for your time, I really appreciate it.

iPhone/iPad email is NOT being encrypted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.