Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music for high school student (13yo)

Dear Apple.

Is there some subscription for student (but highschool - age of 13yo)?

My understanding is the student subscription is just for University students and requires some confirmation from the school...

How to deal with this situation - I don't plan t buy a Family subscription as I don't need that. I just need this service for my daughter. She just migrated to iPhone from Android..

Any ideas?

Rgds

m

ps. Merry Christmas

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 11:39 AM

If she is 13 she can have her own Apple ID. However, I don't know if because this is a subscription service if she will need a credit card on her account to guarantee payment. She can set up the Apple ID with no payment type but things may get tricky if it insists upon having a credit card. Anyway, you can set up an ID and use gift cards to add balance and see if it will work that way, otherwise you might have to do the Family Sharing method whereby an adult guarantees payment for the whole family with a credit card and the child has the individual subscription.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Create or use an Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Join Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC - Apple Support

Manage your Apple Music membership if you’re using an Android phone - Apple Support -

https://support.apple.com/HT204939#manage_android

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2020 11:39 AM in response to Martin__E

If she is 13 she can have her own Apple ID. However, I don't know if because this is a subscription service if she will need a credit card on her account to guarantee payment. She can set up the Apple ID with no payment type but things may get tricky if it insists upon having a credit card. Anyway, you can set up an ID and use gift cards to add balance and see if it will work that way, otherwise you might have to do the Family Sharing method whereby an adult guarantees payment for the whole family with a credit card and the child has the individual subscription.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Create or use an Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Join Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC - Apple Support

Manage your Apple Music membership if you’re using an Android phone - Apple Support -

https://support.apple.com/HT204939#manage_android

Dec 25, 2020 10:48 AM in response to Martin__E

Not for high school:

Get an Apple Music Student subscription - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/HT205928#joinStudent

"To qualify for an Apple Music student subscription, you must be a student studying a bachelor degree, post-graduate degree, or equivalent Higher Education course at a University, College (U.S. only) or Post-Secondary School (Canada only). Junior, technical colleges, and special courses are also eligible in Japan."

Dec 26, 2020 5:50 AM in response to Martin__E

From what I have seen there is only a discount for college students as quoted earlier. Apple does not say why there is no high school student discount. I am just a user of Apple products like you.

If there's any problems because of payment methods what you could do is set up Family Sharing, but then set up Ask To Buy on her account so if she wants something you have to agree to it. Make sure she always has enough money in her account from gift cards to pay for her subscription. She can then subscribe all on her own, but as we have established, it will be at regular price.

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Dec 26, 2020 12:28 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for clarification of the payment possibilities. Interesting one - I was not even thinking about the technical process...

But could we clarify the specific subscription for my daughter? It obviously can't be a student one as per our previous discussion...

Is it really neccessary to pay Individual subscription (as for adult person) for young kid - student of the high school? Or is there another way? as mentioned above I don't need the family subscription..

Apple Music for high school student (13yo)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.