Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail links don’t open in chrome when I choose chrome.

When I open a link from gmail it asks which browser I want it to open in. I choose Chrome but it opens in Safari. How do I fix this?

iPhone 8 Plus, 14

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 11:17 AM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2020 12:20 PM in response to Sherlock234

Hello Sherlock234,

Thank you for choosing Apple Support Communities.

We understand you want to change the default browser on your iPhone from Safari to Chrome. We’re happy to help out!

Take a look at this article Change the default web browser or email app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. It will walk you through the steps to make this change.

Reach back out if you have questions.

Cheers!

Dec 27, 2020 2:23 PM in response to Chris_C1

when I check an email that has a link in it I click on the link. It asks which browser I want it to open in. I choose Chrome but it opens in Safari. It used to open in Chrome.

when I opened a link from an email from the Mail App it would open in Safari. I want them to open in their respective browsers. Gmail links in Chrome and Mail links in Safari. How do I fix this issue as this is what it used to do and I liked it that way?

Dec 27, 2020 5:04 PM in response to Sherlock234

Hi Sherlock234,

Thanks for getting back to us. Let us know if you have these settings in place for Chrome:

Open the Chrome app > tap the three … and that should open additional settings > 

Tap on Default browser > tap Open Chrome settings > select Default browser.

Then restart your iPhone and test to see if the link will open Chrome.

Take care!

Dec 27, 2020 8:03 PM in response to CarlAVII

Let’s try this one more time!

I have the iphone Mail app on the phone, when I open a link from an email I want it to open in Safari.

I also have the Gmail app and when I open a link from a gmail I want it to open in Chrome.

it did this fine until about a week ago.

Now when I open a link from the mail app it opens in chrome.

I want to know how I can set the phone so there is no default browser!

Gmail links don’t open in chrome when I choose chrome.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.