Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot reinstall macos on desktop after wiping it out

I wiped out my mac desktop. I didn't realize it would delete the operating system. I tried restarting it and the world icon came on but it failed that step. How do I get operating software back on it?

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 4:59 PM

Restart computer and immediately hold Command + Option + r - Internet Recovery Mode. Will require a good and speedy internet connection as the Globe from the Apple Servers loads. Once it loads, choose to Install macOS. Depending on year of machine - it will offer to install the most up-to date version Compatible for this machine. Allow it to download the OS and it will announce when it installs and reboot with Setup Assist - like the first time when it was new.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2020 4:59 PM in response to oskittle

Restart computer and immediately hold Command + Option + r - Internet Recovery Mode. Will require a good and speedy internet connection as the Globe from the Apple Servers loads. Once it loads, choose to Install macOS. Depending on year of machine - it will offer to install the most up-to date version Compatible for this machine. Allow it to download the OS and it will announce when it installs and reboot with Setup Assist - like the first time when it was new.

cannot reinstall macos on desktop after wiping it out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.