Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up HomePod wish an incompatible WiFi?

Setting up HomePod with an incompatible WiFi?

HomePod

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 5:36 AM

See If you can’t set up HomePod - Apple Support. In particular:

• HomePod doesn't support public or subscription networks with sign-in requirements. These networks are often in places such as businesses, schools, dorms, apartments, hotels and shops. 

If it is your Wi-Fi you should be able to make it compatible, typically turn off any feature for AP/Client/Wireless isolation. Otherwise you may need to invest in a Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi router that lets you attach your own private Wi-Fi network to a network that requires you to sign in.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 5:36 AM in response to hessonbg

See If you can’t set up HomePod - Apple Support. In particular:

• HomePod doesn't support public or subscription networks with sign-in requirements. These networks are often in places such as businesses, schools, dorms, apartments, hotels and shops. 

If it is your Wi-Fi you should be able to make it compatible, typically turn off any feature for AP/Client/Wireless isolation. Otherwise you may need to invest in a Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi router that lets you attach your own private Wi-Fi network to a network that requires you to sign in.

tt2

Dec 27, 2020 8:59 AM in response to hessonbg

Ah, I've seen a couple of other threads regarding mesh systems but I don't yet understand what the issues are. For dual band routers some users have found that either disabling the 5GHz radio, or giving it a separate SSID which is unknown to the iPhone used to configure the HomePod, helps make sure the HomePod stays connected. My SWAG is that when it has a choice of stronger 2.4GHz and faster 5GHz services to choose between it may sometimes dither and not connect at all. It may be that if you can at least temporarily simplify the options available to HomePod you can get through the set up.

tt2

Jan 20, 2021 10:41 AM in response to hessonbg

I had the same issue with Wi-Fi Incompatible message when I tried to setup HomePod or HomePod mini with my iPhone XS Max. In my case, it was not a Wi-Fi incompatibility issue even though the message claimed so. With the same Wi-Fi, I borrowed an iPhone 7 from a friend, conntected it to iCloud and the setup of the HomePods worked then perfectly. After the setup, I can now also access the HomePod's with my iPhone XS Max where the setup did not work.

Feb 14, 2021 10:06 AM in response to hessonbg

I am having the same issue. 1st Gen Homepod with Orbi 6 Mesh system. Wifi Incompatible.message. All of my airplay 1 devices work fine. I have tried turning Auto Join off and on, have tried setting up from other devices, I have reset the Homepod. I am so frustrated. Is it an Orbi issue or an Apple one? The mesh system is brand new and I was thinking of returning over 1 device and the wifi incompatible issue. Does anyone have any other help?

Setting up HomePod wish an incompatible WiFi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.