Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when my phone backs up info, does it back up duplicate items

does my iphone back up duplicate items

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 1:22 PM

If you are referring to the backup through iCloud or iTunes then the current state of your phone is backed up in a single backup file. If you were to make another backup of your phone then you would have two backup files which would each contain the data, pictures, files, passwords (if the backup is encrypted) which were on your phone at the time of the backup. It is possible that the backup files could contain duplicated of the same items depending on if you had the same file/item on your phone during both backups.

Hope that helps,

-Yama

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2020 1:22 PM in response to Chaverm79

If you are referring to the backup through iCloud or iTunes then the current state of your phone is backed up in a single backup file. If you were to make another backup of your phone then you would have two backup files which would each contain the data, pictures, files, passwords (if the backup is encrypted) which were on your phone at the time of the backup. It is possible that the backup files could contain duplicated of the same items depending on if you had the same file/item on your phone during both backups.

Hope that helps,

-Yama

when my phone backs up info, does it back up duplicate items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.