Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you setup the HomePod mini as default speakers on the Apple TV 4K when it doesn’t automatically show up as an option in the settings?

I don’t get the option to automatically select the HomePod mini paired set to use as default speakers on my Apple TV 4K. Do you know how to do this, when the option doesn’t automatically show up or the Apple TV doesn’t recognize it on the audio settings?

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 6:36 AM

The default speaker option is now limited to Apple TV 4K with full size HomePods, but you can still Use Apple TV to play audio throughout your home - Apple Support with other combinations of hardware.

Long press on the TV button on the remote, then click the Apple TV 4K/HD icon on screen to get the AirPlay menu where you can select your audio destination.

tt2

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 6:36 AM in response to vish240

The default speaker option is now limited to Apple TV 4K with full size HomePods, but you can still Use Apple TV to play audio throughout your home - Apple Support with other combinations of hardware.

Long press on the TV button on the remote, then click the Apple TV 4K/HD icon on screen to get the AirPlay menu where you can select your audio destination.

tt2

Dec 26, 2020 12:40 PM in response to vish240

Yes, you can pair two HomePods or two HomePod minis. See Set up HomePod stereo pairing - Apple Support to create a stereo pair. You can use such a pair to play audio from your Apple TV using AirPlay. What you cannot use is the default speaker option as referred to in article linked to at the top of this thread, the full home theater audio experience is only available with a combination of Apple TV 4K, full size HomePods, and suitable content.

tt2

Dec 26, 2020 8:48 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, the audio output can be changed manually which is a workaround for the time being. I do feel strongly though, that this should be just that: a workaround. I can think of no good reason why Apple would have deliberately restricted the ability to set the mini as a default audio output for Apple TV. That being said, I see this as a software defect that will need to be addressed in a future update. Certainly hope Apple is on the same page!

How do you setup the HomePod mini as default speakers on the Apple TV 4K when it doesn’t automatically show up as an option in the settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.