Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine: how to retrieve a file from an old TM Backup

So I bought myself this new shining Mac Mini 2020 with Apple's M1 chip. Great!

I filled the HD thanks to the latest Time Machine backup I made on an external Seagate drive. i had to skip a number of files since the SSD HD of the Mini is smaller than the HD of my old iMac 2010.

The Mini now backs up to a new TM, which resides on a server in my house. I gave the old iMac to a friend.

But now I am missing some files I did not restore on installing the Mini. So I try to connect the old Time Machine on the Seagate to the new Mini. But she does not recognize the old TM backups anymore.

Can this problem be solved? Is it possible to retrieve files from the old TM backup?

Thanks for your help.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 25, 2020 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 7:13 AM

Hey there Mr Moto,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues restoring from your Time Machine backup. We're happy to provide some assistance.

Let's follow the steps outlined in this helpful resource that relates to the issue you're having:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

If the issue persists, please reach out to us here: Get Support

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 7:13 AM in response to Mr Moto

Hey there Mr Moto,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having some issues restoring from your Time Machine backup. We're happy to provide some assistance.

Let's follow the steps outlined in this helpful resource that relates to the issue you're having:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

If the issue persists, please reach out to us here: Get Support

We hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Time Machine: how to retrieve a file from an old TM Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.