Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on Big Sur

I am on Big Sur and my Photos library is on the internal hard drive. The library does not hold the originals. The photos are on an external USB drive which is formatted as Mac OS extended (journaled). The library does not show as the System photo library and I cannot make it the system photo library as it is grayed out.

How do I solve this?

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 9:00 AM

If the option "Use as System Photos Library" is greyed out, it usually means, it is already the System Photos Library.

As a test:

• Quit Photos, if it is running.
  • Launch Photos again, while holding down the options key ⌥ .
  • Release the key, when you are seeing the library chooser dialog.
  • Usually, you will see the text "(System Photos Library)" behind the current System Photos Library.

Is there any library in the list marked as System Photos Library? If not, is there any known problem with your external drive - for example, has it been used for Time Machine backups?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 9:00 AM in response to gsalf

If the option "Use as System Photos Library" is greyed out, it usually means, it is already the System Photos Library.

As a test:

• Quit Photos, if it is running.
  • Launch Photos again, while holding down the options key ⌥ .
  • Release the key, when you are seeing the library chooser dialog.
  • Usually, you will see the text "(System Photos Library)" behind the current System Photos Library.

Is there any library in the list marked as System Photos Library? If not, is there any known problem with your external drive - for example, has it been used for Time Machine backups?

Photos on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.