Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with clarifying potential malware / spyware infection on Macbook

Hey everyone,

Hope you can help me out :-)

I am normally extremely careful and cautious about vetting software for legitimacy before I use it. However, this time I appear to have made an error in judgement... A couple of weeks ago I foolishly downloaded and used a third-party mac application called PhoneRescue by a software company called iMobie based in China: imobie.***/phonerescue

TL;DR: It's less-than-legitimate software and I am hoping for some reassurance that I haven't infected my computer with malware or spyware or unwittingly invited a significant security breach of my personal data. Since downloading, I've scanned with Malwarebytes (no threats) and after a bout of paranoia reformatted and reinstalled macOS as a precaution. I hope I have done all the necessaries but it would be fantastic if someone with proper expertise could give me the thumbs up. You read scary things about malware / spyware surviving a reformat etc...

• MacBook Pro, Mid 2015, macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • Checked the dmg on virustotal and it comes back clean but mixed results regarding the signature (sometimes it comes back with a signature from Apple, sometimes not).
  • Scanned Macbook with malwarebytes premium, no threats found.
  • re-formatted and re-installed mac os as a precaution.
  • There are no obvious signs of infection on my machine, nor evidence of a change in performance; I guess I'm seeking re-assurance about what kind of damage an application like this can inflict or is it simply a case of having embarrassed myself and a bit of a learning curve?

It is probably obvious that I am very likely overcooking this but, like most people, the thought of my devices or personal data being compromised is upsetting. I also feel like a right idiot!

I stupidly installed the software in the hopes of retrieving a deleted SMS message. No iCloud backup was available to me at that time so went looking for third-party offerings. The PhoneRescue application is heavily marketed; a quick Google search returns many reputable publications promoting the software (along with many other iMobie software products). Sadly, I took this at face-value, downloaded the software to my Macbook, plugged up my iPhone and let it scan away.

It's obvious that the free trial version acts as an incentive for the user to upgrade to unlock the 'deleted' content. I quickly clocked this whole thing was probably a mistake, quit the program, disconnected my device and promptly uninstalled it.

Returning to Google for a more thorough look into the software, to my frustration I discovered it was probably considerably sketchier than first thought, and that all the content by more reputable publications is clearly thinly-veiled paid-for promotional material making the software look more reputable than it probably is.

Any assistance is massively appreciated.

Thanks

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 11:41 AM

I trust Malwarebytes (which you ran and it said your Mac was clean). I trust it a lot.

If Malwarebytes says you've got no running malware, you should be absolutely fine.

Similar questions

2 replies

Help with clarifying potential malware / spyware infection on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.