Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i connect an external HD to my iPad mini 4?

IPad mini 4 14.3. Using Lightning to USB Camera Adapter can I connect external HD? Seagate Backup Plus Hub. I’ve tried but nothing shows up in FILES app. I’ve heard both answers. Yes, should be able to. And no, that works with iPad Pro only. Looks like the answer is no, but thought I’d ask.

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 10:41 AM

An external HDD can be connected to your iPad with the Apple adapter appropriate for your model of iPad - if the HDD is both partitioned and formatted appropriately (i.e., a single partition - formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS). 

You should also note that the iPad is not capable of providing sufficient power to run an HDD. If the HDD does not have its own source of power- then external power must be supplied to the HDD using the connecting adapter (e.g., an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter and Apple Charger of at least 12W) - or by connecting both the iPad and HDD to a powered USB hub.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2020 10:41 AM in response to OnionEaters

An external HDD can be connected to your iPad with the Apple adapter appropriate for your model of iPad - if the HDD is both partitioned and formatted appropriately (i.e., a single partition - formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS). 

You should also note that the iPad is not capable of providing sufficient power to run an HDD. If the HDD does not have its own source of power- then external power must be supplied to the HDD using the connecting adapter (e.g., an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter and Apple Charger of at least 12W) - or by connecting both the iPad and HDD to a powered USB hub.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

Dec 26, 2020 7:56 PM in response to OnionEaters

If this is any type of drive, The iPad won't recognise it without using an external power source plugged into the iPad and possibly, for older mechanical spinning disk hard drives, plugging in the drive into an external power source.

This can be an external power adapter and even one of those portable rechargeable mobile power banks.

To do this, you need to first need purchase Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter.

Nothing will work until you get this adapter!

Dec 26, 2020 8:05 PM in response to MichelPM

I have the lightning/camera usb adapter, with the power supplied by the HD’s ac plug in the wall. Right now i’m taking the usb plug out of my laptop and plugging it into the lightning/camera female end of the adapter. The other end (lightning) goes into the iPad. Am I understanding you correctly? That the iPad needs to recognize the power source? If so, then I would need the usb 3 like you said. And whatever additional cables. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2020 11:28 PM in response to OnionEaters

I am not sure if you can actually plug s laptop computer into an iPad and have it recognise the laptop's hard drive.

When we are talking about external drives, we are talking about discreet, portable, external drive units and NOT drives integrated into desktop or laptop computers.

I do not think what you are attempting with an internal drive within a laptop computer is going to work.

Can i connect an external HD to my iPad mini 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.