Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older iPad running OS 11.2.5. I need to upgrade to at least OS 12. Can you please explain how to do that. I have been unable to download OS 14.3. I have 16 GB of total storage with 7.3 GB available so it seems like it should work.

Yes

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 26, 2020 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 7:29 AM

If your iPad is technically capable of being updated to iPadOS 14.3, but is currently running iOS12.x or earlier, the OTA Update from iPad Setting will not work - as your iPad is too far behind.

Instead, you must connect your iPad to a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac computer (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS) - and use the computer itself to perform the software update for your iPad.

More details here:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 7:29 AM in response to joey372

If your iPad is technically capable of being updated to iPadOS 14.3, but is currently running iOS12.x or earlier, the OTA Update from iPad Setting will not work - as your iPad is too far behind.

Instead, you must connect your iPad to a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac computer (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS) - and use the computer itself to perform the software update for your iPad.

More details here:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Dec 27, 2020 5:34 AM in response to Bob_7890

I have a pretty good internet connection; I have both cellular service and wifi enabled. When I attempt to "Download and Install" it asks for my password, which I provide, afterwhich the download appears to commence with a small grey spinning wheel however it never completes ..... just returns to the blue "Download and Install" option. The large gear never begins to turn, if that helps you to diagnose anything. Thanks again for your assistance.

I have an older iPad running OS 11.2.5. I need to upgrade to at least OS 12. Can you please explain how to do that. I have been unable to download OS 14.3. I have 16 GB of total storage with 7.3 GB available so it seems like it should work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.