Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using High Sierra, Filevault is stuck x 5 days - changed macintosh HD startup disk to external driv e

I have rebooted in recovery mode, > disk utility > macintosh HD not available to turn off encryption. External guide, "Filevault not turned on". Macintosh HD shows not mounted - APFS (encrypted).

How can I access the stuck volume on macintosh HD so that I can turn off filevault encryption.

I used external drive to back up my MacBook pro.

Can I use Time Machine to go back to time before initiating file vault - will it undo the encryption and re-establish macintosh HD as my startup drive and get me back to where I was before the encryption started

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 8:52 AM

I don't exactly understand your scenario... but if you want to turn off FV2 encryption, you will need to boot the system-->Go to System Preferences-->Security & Privacy-->Select FileVault tab-->Enter password and Turn Off FileVault-->Wait until description completes.

Hope that helps. If not, post more details about the issue you're having.

~( ):>

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 8:52 AM in response to SCJ2021

I don't exactly understand your scenario... but if you want to turn off FV2 encryption, you will need to boot the system-->Go to System Preferences-->Security & Privacy-->Select FileVault tab-->Enter password and Turn Off FileVault-->Wait until description completes.

Hope that helps. If not, post more details about the issue you're having.

~( ):>

Using High Sierra, Filevault is stuck x 5 days - changed macintosh HD startup disk to external driv e

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.