Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I stop apple music from changing bit rates

I recently reloaded my whole CD library (luckily only about 500) to ensure that I have all high bit rate copies of songs. That was a month ago and today I am seeing songs in that library that are 256. What gives Apple?

My questions are what exactly causes AM to change the bit rate for some songs? Is it songs that have been downloaded to a device, even though all of our devices say not to change the bit rate? Is it random?

And, how can I stop this from happening? If it cannot be stopped, I'd be open to recommendations for other music services that provide higher bit rate files.

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 2:07 PM

If you want the same bit rate on your devices as you have in your library, do not use cloud sync. Sync directly thru USB, and it will transfer exact copies of the audio files: Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

1 reply

how do I stop apple music from changing bit rates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.