Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not disable SIP on my new Mac mini M1

As I now is completely dependent on Xtrafinder, I naturally want to install it on my Mac mini M1.

the first step is to disable SIP. Previously, it has worked well by starting in recovery mode running terminal and deactivating through csrutil disable. But now on the M1 I also asked for username and password. Entered the correct username and password, but then only got back that it failed. Others have been successful with this, why not me? Running Big Sur 11.1.

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 1:20 PM

13 replies

Dec 27, 2020 3:49 PM in response to vwlinkan

vwlinkan Said:

"Can not disable SIP on my new Mac mini M1"

-------

Thank you for the follow-up.

Two Thoughts:

A. Manage the Drive:

In Recovery Mode, select Disk Utility. From there, select the disk. First, mount it, if need be, and, with the disk still selected, run First Aid. If an issue pops up, your Hard Drive may be failing.

Then...

B. Reinstalling the MacOS:

Elsewise, I'm not so certain other than reinstalling the macOS, as things may have become corrupted somehow. Nothing would be lost. It's just that corrupt system files will be replaced, and misplaced system files will be relocated to where and how they should be.

IMPORTANT: Prior to reinstalling the MacOScreate a Time Machine backup of your Mac. That way you have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstallation. Use a hard drive at least 1.5 time the size of the Mac's internal storage, for future backups.

Dec 28, 2020 12:44 AM in response to vwlinkan

vwlinkan Said:

"I doubt that the SSD should be an issue on a brand new Mac mini M1. But will test it anyway. I have a TM running and will also make a Carbon Copy Clone for extra security. Thanks for your advice!"

-------

You are welcome.

Rid of CCC:

You might want to stay away from Carbon Copy Cloner. Seems there are lots of issues with it, when it comes to its compatibility with Big Sur. View this Google Search Queue: "carbon copy cloner" "big sur" site:discussions.apple.com. Lots pops up for issues. All I use is Time Machine. So, I'm fine without it.

Dec 28, 2020 3:44 AM in response to vwlinkan

vwlinkan wrote:
.....Carbon Copy Clone for extra security.
Thanks for your advice!

At the current time for M1 Macs, Carbon Copy Cloner will only

clone the Data volume of you drive and will not be bootable.

For a bootable "semi-clone", You need to clone the Data volume

to a properly APFS formatted drive and then in Recovery, reinstall

macOS to that drive. The protected system volume will not

be cloned (according to Mike Bombich of CCC, the tool to

do this is still being worked on by Apple to get it working

on M1 Macs).

Also be aware that external macOS install and booting on M1

Macs is not quite "fully baked" and there can be numerous

issues with the type of drive used and how that drive is

connected to an M1 Mac.

Jan 24, 2021 10:00 AM in response to abhijith208

Got my Mac Mini M1 back on Friday. Now the problem is solved by my Service Provider. But Apple did not want to pay for it:

"Restore via Apple Configurator 2. Provides both new firmware and OS.

Software defects that are not included in Apple's warranty commitment but feels unreasonable to charge for when it's a new computer so we offer it (we do not receive any compensation from Apple)."

Now I "only" have to wait for Xtrafinder or Totalfinder for M1 Macs ;)

Can not disable SIP on my new Mac mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.