Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I avoid unwanted Apple software updates?

I have been getting unwanted software updates for my Mac, despite in my preferences I have "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" unchecked. The most recent message I received stated: "There are software updates available for your Mac that require you to restart. You already postponed updates the maximum number of times. Please save your work and click 'Update" otherwise this message will disappear and the computer will restart automatically". What are these updates, and how can I avoid them?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 1:35 PM

You can't avoid updates. They are designed to bring bug fixes and the latest security and feature enhancements to your device. Even if you don't notice anything different, you are getting the latest operating system. Bugs can develop in time of an operating system's life span, so it is important to try and update your device whenever possible, this can be when you are not using it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 1:35 PM in response to wk2215

You can't avoid updates. They are designed to bring bug fixes and the latest security and feature enhancements to your device. Even if you don't notice anything different, you are getting the latest operating system. Bugs can develop in time of an operating system's life span, so it is important to try and update your device whenever possible, this can be when you are not using it.

Dec 27, 2020 1:52 PM in response to wk2215

Open System Preference > Software Update. Click on the Advanced button. Set the options as shown next.

You always want security updates installed, and those will happen in the background. Otherwise, for all other updates you will only be notified when they're available, and you can download and install them only when you decide to do so.

Also, the automatic security updates are not the main OS security updates (such as this one) that show up every so often. You will only be notified they're available and need to choose to install those as you would the Safari updates.

How can I avoid unwanted Apple software updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.