Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with factory resetting my MacBook Air

I'm trying to factory reset my MacBook Air and two drives show up: Macintosh HD and

Macintosh HD - Data. Do I have to erase them both or only one of them?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 10:55 AM

Plug in to charger. Disconnect any external devices. Shutdown computer. Turn on and immediately hold Command + r - Recovery Mode. When presented Go Utilities and disk utilities >> View >> All Devices. On the left side look for the Upper Most Device usually called Apple SSD Media or something like that. On Right side Click Erase. It will prompt to give the drive a name and then below that Format Type Choose APFS and below that choose GUID Partition Map ( Scheme ). Click Erase. Done and back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install MacOS. This last step Requires as speedy, reliable Internet Connection as it will download the Full Version of macOS previously installed. Let it do its thing and eventually computer will restart to do the installation and reboot to Setup Asist.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 10:55 AM in response to Eriiks

Plug in to charger. Disconnect any external devices. Shutdown computer. Turn on and immediately hold Command + r - Recovery Mode. When presented Go Utilities and disk utilities >> View >> All Devices. On the left side look for the Upper Most Device usually called Apple SSD Media or something like that. On Right side Click Erase. It will prompt to give the drive a name and then below that Format Type Choose APFS and below that choose GUID Partition Map ( Scheme ). Click Erase. Done and back out of Disk Utilities and choose Install MacOS. This last step Requires as speedy, reliable Internet Connection as it will download the Full Version of macOS previously installed. Let it do its thing and eventually computer will restart to do the installation and reboot to Setup Asist.

Need help with factory resetting my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.