Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch microphone icon

When I put the watch on the charger at night I notice that the microphone icon is on at the top. WHY??? I notice it again when I take the watch off the charger in the morning. What could it possibly be listening for? How do I make it stop?

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 3:15 PM

Hello missyw.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing issues with your Apple Watch. Specifically, you're able to see the microphone symbol when you're charging your Apple Watch. If this is the case, we'd like to look into this issue with you.

This icon will appear when your Apple Watch microphone is listening. The following resource does explain when this icon appears:

Status icons and symbols on Apple Watch

Under "Icons for active apps", it explains which apps and features will active the microphone. We do have some recommend troubleshooting steps we can attempt to help address this issue you're experiencing. You can first check for any active apps that might be open on your Apple Watch. To do this, unlock your Apple Watch and press the Side Button. This will open a list of active apps. If you see an app that might be using your microphone, you can swipe right on it and select the "X" icon to close the app.

If you don't see any active apps or the steps provided don't help resolve the issue, you can try to restart your Apple Watch:

How to restart your Apple Watch

Additionally, if you have any pending updates available for your Apple Watch or your companion iPhone, please install those updates. Updating your devices can help with performance issues. Just in case, the following resources can help:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your Apple Watch

We hope this information is useful. Best of luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2020 3:15 PM in response to missyw

Hello missyw.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing issues with your Apple Watch. Specifically, you're able to see the microphone symbol when you're charging your Apple Watch. If this is the case, we'd like to look into this issue with you.

This icon will appear when your Apple Watch microphone is listening. The following resource does explain when this icon appears:

Status icons and symbols on Apple Watch

Under "Icons for active apps", it explains which apps and features will active the microphone. We do have some recommend troubleshooting steps we can attempt to help address this issue you're experiencing. You can first check for any active apps that might be open on your Apple Watch. To do this, unlock your Apple Watch and press the Side Button. This will open a list of active apps. If you see an app that might be using your microphone, you can swipe right on it and select the "X" icon to close the app.

If you don't see any active apps or the steps provided don't help resolve the issue, you can try to restart your Apple Watch:

How to restart your Apple Watch

Additionally, if you have any pending updates available for your Apple Watch or your companion iPhone, please install those updates. Updating your devices can help with performance issues. Just in case, the following resources can help:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Update your Apple Watch

We hope this information is useful. Best of luck.

Apple Watch microphone icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.