Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie won't Share?

iMovie can't "Share" and gives a Compressor error.

Currently running iMovie 10.1.7 on High Sierra.

I researched many sites and none of their recommendations solved my problem except for one suggestion:

• Throw iMovie in the Trash
  • Open App Store and log in
  • Select your previously "Purchased" list
  • Select "iMovie" (10.1.12 was there which is is compatible with High Sierra)
  • "Install" it.

Voila!

Don't know what caused the initial Compressor error.

Don't really care, since this fixed the problem!

Whew!

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 10:59 AM

My pleasure. I had this problem with iMovie for months, I couldn't think of anything I did that would have changed the OS environment so drastically that would corrupt the most basic function of iMovie (i.e., save the movie file!), and I couldn't find anywhere near as elegant of an app (and as affordable) as iMovie to manage simple file editing and I was starting to get panicky (I couldn't find a player/editor that can save movies in reverse playback and that is essential to my application).

I read so many different ways to attempt to get around this silly problem;

• start up in Safe Mode to reset certain files and then reboot,
  • reinstall the OS,
  • upgrade to 10.15,
  • hack iTunes mobiledevice utility (which will likely interfere with IOS backups and syncing of newer model iPhones, by the way),
  • type a few lines of code into Terminal.app...

...the list goes on and on.

What ended up working is the simplest solution: throw out iMovie and reload it fresh from the App Store!

Worked like a charm, for me at least, running High Sierra on a 27" iMac. And I was surprised this version of iMovie (10.1.12) was still available at the App Store because Apple stopped officially supporting High Sierra this past September!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 10:59 AM in response to Rich839

My pleasure. I had this problem with iMovie for months, I couldn't think of anything I did that would have changed the OS environment so drastically that would corrupt the most basic function of iMovie (i.e., save the movie file!), and I couldn't find anywhere near as elegant of an app (and as affordable) as iMovie to manage simple file editing and I was starting to get panicky (I couldn't find a player/editor that can save movies in reverse playback and that is essential to my application).

I read so many different ways to attempt to get around this silly problem;

• start up in Safe Mode to reset certain files and then reboot,
  • reinstall the OS,
  • upgrade to 10.15,
  • hack iTunes mobiledevice utility (which will likely interfere with IOS backups and syncing of newer model iPhones, by the way),
  • type a few lines of code into Terminal.app...

...the list goes on and on.

What ended up working is the simplest solution: throw out iMovie and reload it fresh from the App Store!

Worked like a charm, for me at least, running High Sierra on a 27" iMac. And I was surprised this version of iMovie (10.1.12) was still available at the App Store because Apple stopped officially supporting High Sierra this past September!

iMovie won't Share?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.