Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 macbook pro kernel panic

I have a new M1 Macbook pro and experience kernel panics about once a day.

Here are the first lines of the problem report:

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xfffffe00184dd618): "uipc_send connected but no connection?"

Debugger message: panic

Memory ID: 0x6

OS release type: User

OS version: 20B29

I found this apple code, which contains the error message:

https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-201/bsd/kern/uipc_usrreq.c.auto.html

I cannot read the code, but it might have to do with web sockets?

I can provide the full panic reports if helpful!

Thank you for your help!

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 2:10 AM

Hi barberlives123,

thanks for the hint. I tried some of these. Not with much success though..

However, I realized that the kernel panics were always happening in Safari. So I switched to Firefox and went from at least one kernel panic a day to zero the last 2 days.

I liked Safari and my Safari setup. I would have rather liked to solve the problem otherwise.

If there are any specific ideas out there, I am very much open to try. (Next I will try to switch of ClamXAV + Safari for a while).

best wishes!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 2:10 AM in response to barberlives123

Hi barberlives123,

thanks for the hint. I tried some of these. Not with much success though..

However, I realized that the kernel panics were always happening in Safari. So I switched to Firefox and went from at least one kernel panic a day to zero the last 2 days.

I liked Safari and my Safari setup. I would have rather liked to solve the problem otherwise.

If there are any specific ideas out there, I am very much open to try. (Next I will try to switch of ClamXAV + Safari for a while).

best wishes!

Jan 7, 2021 3:30 AM in response to andresnm

Hi andresnm,

I did two things:

1. - I granted ClamXAV.app  Full Disk Access, which I had not done before.

2 - I reached out to ClamXAV support and described my problem. They were quick to answer. See below.

I have done what they suggested yesterday, no panics since then.

Thanks for getting in touch.

This is a bit of a strange one. Technically ClamXAV shouldn't be responsible for kernel panics as we don't make use of a kernel extension in the app - so I'm not sure why clamd is listed as the panicked task.

Could I please get you to install our latest beta where we've made some changes for users on M1 Macs? 

You can do this by going into ClamXAV's preferences -> Advanced, and turn on the option to "Enable beta ClamXAV updates".

After that, click the ClamXAV menu, hold down the option key (sometimes labelled "alt") on your keyboard and select "Check for ClamXAV updates".

When the new version has been installed successfully, please check to see that the issue has been resolved.

Best regards

Dec 30, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Ma7h

Hello, Ma7h!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having an issue with your MacBook Pro experiencing kernel panics. Check out this article If your Mac restarted because of a problem. This article will give you steps to take for issues with your Mac restarting, as well as what to do if the issues continue.

Best regards.

Jan 7, 2021 1:43 AM in response to Ma7h

I have the same issue since yesterday. My M1 MBP freezes with a pink screen and after reboot I get the error log. Also in my log I have the same lines:

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xfffffe0027906620): "uipc_send connected but no connection?"

Panicked task 0xfffffe166e1d0638: 38041 pages, 3 threads: pid 318: clamd

So it is very likely that also for me the ClamXAV Daemon is the cause of the kernel panic. I have deinstalled ClamXAV and let's see if the kernel panic reoccurs.

Jan 29, 2021 6:38 AM in response to Ma7h

I'm also seeing this.

M1 MacBook Pro with ClamXAV installed.

Several kernel panics per day where machine freezes for about 5-10 seconds (cursor won't move, no input or output) then a flash of pink screen before machine seems to partially restart and I have to log in again.

My panic logs include the same lines:

"uipc_send connected but no connection?"

and

|Panicked task ... clamd

I hardly ever have Safari running.

I've uninstalled ClamXAV and things seem to have been stable for about a day and a half.

I contacted ClamXAV support and they:

"Firstly, kernel panics are generally caused by hardware issues with your Mac, or, issues with third party kernel extension (kexts) - usually in the form of device drivers or similar. ClamXAV does not make use of any kernel extensions, therefore ClamXAV (including our process clamd) cannot be solely responsible for a kernel panic. Since we do not use kexts in ClamXAV, none of our code runs at the kernel level. The kernel is purposefully isolated from regular applications (such as ClamXAV) in order to prevent kernel panics occurring as a result of third party software. If the kernel is panicking due to third party software, this is something Apple needs to address, and you should report it to them.

In the panic log excerpt that you've attached, clamd is stated as the panicked task. This does not mean that clamd is responsible for the panic, it means that it was the last task that the kernel was handling when the panic occurred. This is known as a backtrace and is similar to how stack traces work (if you're familiar with them). The panic log should also include details of the last loaded kernel extension, I suggest you check for this and unload that extension to see if that helps. Above all, I suggest that you speak to Apple Support regarding this, as your Mac is new and it's not infeasible that a firmware issue relating to the M1 is the reason why this is happening."

Which may all be correct, but my panics always reference clamd as the panicked task, and it's been stable since I uninstalled it. So ClamXAV may not be the cause of the panic, but might it be the cause of something else that is then causing the panic?

I'll keep you updated. I might leave it for a few days, then re-install ClamXAV and see if things start up again.

Jan 30, 2021 6:37 AM in response to apple-magic

I would like to say that granting ClamXAV full access, and downloading the beta from their website finally fixed by otherwise amazing M1 Mac Mini. I was at the point of asking for another unit, having been on the phone with support for several hours. As I suspected Support have a script, and ask you to unplug various peripherals then phone back, re-download Big Sur then phone back etc., etc. Having had at least one Macintosh since 1986, I've become pretty adept at troubleshooting... and while I first thought my multiple crashes (sometimes 3 or 4 per day) had to do with Bluetooth... I finally found this thread which has resulted in two solid weeks of continuous performance without a glitch!!! Hope anyone else who has the problem trips over this post.

M1 macbook pro kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.