Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone stuck on 5Ge and cannot get online. How do I either access 5Ge or kill 5Ge off and get the wifi symbol back

Sorry about long title. My iPhone Xs seems stuck on 5Ge for many minutes which means I cannot get online. Lately the "5Ge" label comes and then goes in favor of the wifi rings. Tonight I am stuck and restarting the iPhone does no good. What gives?

oops, the "5Ge" label finally gave way to "VPN" and then "VPN" label gives way to the wifi rings. How do I avoid 5Ge or use 5Ge?

iPhone XS

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 8:15 PM

If you are seeing 5Ge, that is from your cellular carrier. If you are not getting cellular data and if you have cellular data turned on in Settings, then you need to contact your carrier. If you are having difficulty connecting to your wi-fi network, then see this, If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

5Ge is what AT&T networks identifies its LTE signal. It is a hybrid LTE that they say is like 5G service, but isn't 5G. You won't get 5G on the iPhone XS.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2020 8:15 PM in response to Richard3003

If you are seeing 5Ge, that is from your cellular carrier. If you are not getting cellular data and if you have cellular data turned on in Settings, then you need to contact your carrier. If you are having difficulty connecting to your wi-fi network, then see this, If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

5Ge is what AT&T networks identifies its LTE signal. It is a hybrid LTE that they say is like 5G service, but isn't 5G. You won't get 5G on the iPhone XS.

Dec 29, 2020 12:23 AM in response to Lyssa

I am often confused and my main response is re-boot which often somehow solves problems. 47 years ago or so, I could write semi-literate COBOL programs for IBM 370s. Now IBM is a cloud service and I curse Netflix when the loading spinner is the only thing available for too long. Progress is lovely most of the time except when it isn't.

iPhone stuck on 5Ge and cannot get online. How do I either access 5Ge or kill 5Ge off and get the wifi symbol back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.