Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch keeps crashing

My Apple watch was working perfectly this morning. All of a sudden the Watch app keeps crashing and now won't open. I RESET my iPhone and then restored my backup from the iCloud but the Watch app still won't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 8:55 AM

Hi Erik,

Not sure if you were able to fix this issue but I posted a solution on another thread that has worked for 5 people so far and it’s one that doesn’t require a factory reset. I’ll post the solution here for you and others. See below:

Anyone having issues getting into the watch app so you can unpair your watch and delete the app, try out my solution! This will allow you to delete the watch app completely so you can re-download it fresh from the App Store, which will fix the glitch problem the app is having. It doesn’t require you to do a reset and erase. It has worked for 5 other people now, so I’d say it’s worth a shot for anyone else having this issue. 

1. On the watch go to settings > general > reset > Erase All Content and Settings
  2. Go to your Bluetooth settings on your phone and if you see your Apple Watch, click on the 'i' and click "Forget this device"
  3. Go to "appleid.apple.com", scroll down to devices and you should see your apple watch. Click your apple watch and select "Remove from account".
  4. Next you will need to turn off "Find my iPhone", which should turn off activation lock on the watch. On your phone go to settings > click your name > Find My > Find My iPhone > toggle this off
  5. Next step is to go go settings > general > iPhone storage > scroll to the Watch app and "Remove all backups". I saw someone do this somewhere else, saying that there might be corrupt files in the backups, so removing them might be a good idea. If you do have a backup and want to try without this step, it might still work, just wanted to mention this.
  6. These next steps have to be done quickly. Do a Hard reset of your phone (quickly press volume up > quickly press volume down > press and hold side button until Apple logo appears and then release side button). Once the phone turns back on, you should have enough time to be able to get into the app and then unpair the watch, but you have to do this super quickly before the app kicks you out. Make sure your app is on the first screen once you unlock your phone, because you don't have much time from when the phone turns on from the hard reset to when the app will crash. I also recommend disabling your passcode if you have one to get into your phone quicker. 
  7. Next, go into the app, and once loaded, quickly press "All Watches" in top left screen > Click the 'i' next to your watch > then click "Unpair Apple Watch".
  8. After you click "Unpair Apple Watch", a pop up at the bottom appears where you have to click “Unpair Apple Watch” again. After you have done this, you should see a screen where it shows it is unpairing your watch. Because you turned off Find my iPhone in the previous step, this should have turned off the activation lock, so you shouldn't have to type in your Apple ID password. Once I got to this point, the app didn't kick me out and I was successfully able to unpair my watch.
  9. After the unpair is completed, go back to your apps and you should have the ability to completely delete the Watch app. First remove the app from your home screen and then completely delete the app from the app library.
  10. After you have deleted the app, go back to the app store and download the watch app again and you will be able to get into the app with no issues and start over with your watch.

Since I did this, my watch has been working perfectly. Like I said, this solution has worked for 5 people now, so worth a try especially if you don’t want to erase your phone completely and deal with that. Let me know if this works for you!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2021 8:55 AM in response to erik2593

Hi Erik,

Not sure if you were able to fix this issue but I posted a solution on another thread that has worked for 5 people so far and it’s one that doesn’t require a factory reset. I’ll post the solution here for you and others. See below:

Anyone having issues getting into the watch app so you can unpair your watch and delete the app, try out my solution! This will allow you to delete the watch app completely so you can re-download it fresh from the App Store, which will fix the glitch problem the app is having. It doesn’t require you to do a reset and erase. It has worked for 5 other people now, so I’d say it’s worth a shot for anyone else having this issue. 

1. On the watch go to settings > general > reset > Erase All Content and Settings
  2. Go to your Bluetooth settings on your phone and if you see your Apple Watch, click on the 'i' and click "Forget this device"
  3. Go to "appleid.apple.com", scroll down to devices and you should see your apple watch. Click your apple watch and select "Remove from account".
  4. Next you will need to turn off "Find my iPhone", which should turn off activation lock on the watch. On your phone go to settings > click your name > Find My > Find My iPhone > toggle this off
  5. Next step is to go go settings > general > iPhone storage > scroll to the Watch app and "Remove all backups". I saw someone do this somewhere else, saying that there might be corrupt files in the backups, so removing them might be a good idea. If you do have a backup and want to try without this step, it might still work, just wanted to mention this.
  6. These next steps have to be done quickly. Do a Hard reset of your phone (quickly press volume up > quickly press volume down > press and hold side button until Apple logo appears and then release side button). Once the phone turns back on, you should have enough time to be able to get into the app and then unpair the watch, but you have to do this super quickly before the app kicks you out. Make sure your app is on the first screen once you unlock your phone, because you don't have much time from when the phone turns on from the hard reset to when the app will crash. I also recommend disabling your passcode if you have one to get into your phone quicker. 
  7. Next, go into the app, and once loaded, quickly press "All Watches" in top left screen > Click the 'i' next to your watch > then click "Unpair Apple Watch".
  8. After you click "Unpair Apple Watch", a pop up at the bottom appears where you have to click “Unpair Apple Watch” again. After you have done this, you should see a screen where it shows it is unpairing your watch. Because you turned off Find my iPhone in the previous step, this should have turned off the activation lock, so you shouldn't have to type in your Apple ID password. Once I got to this point, the app didn't kick me out and I was successfully able to unpair my watch.
  9. After the unpair is completed, go back to your apps and you should have the ability to completely delete the Watch app. First remove the app from your home screen and then completely delete the app from the app library.
  10. After you have deleted the app, go back to the app store and download the watch app again and you will be able to get into the app with no issues and start over with your watch.

Since I did this, my watch has been working perfectly. Like I said, this solution has worked for 5 people now, so worth a try especially if you don’t want to erase your phone completely and deal with that. Let me know if this works for you!

Dec 29, 2020 1:52 PM in response to erik2593

My watch app isn’t working either. It’s a problem right now it looks like. My watch wasn’t pairing right this morning so I tried going to the app to forget it and try pairing again. The app won’t stop crashing despite restarting my phone. Sounds like restoring to a previous update doesn’t fix the problem either.

I tried updating to 14.3 this morning and that didn’t fix the issue either.

Dec 29, 2020 10:10 PM in response to rosilla

Was talking with Apple support after having the same problem and after them getting me to reset my watch.which is now totally useless because the app still crashes said the only way to fix it was to back up my phone and do a total reset but they weren’t totally sure that would work either and can’t delete the watch app because it’s says to unpair a watch 1st,which it is because my watch and phone now keep wanting to pair up,so I’m not very happy right now.

Dec 30, 2020 3:27 AM in response to Scoot65

Update,I have reset my iPhone and can confirm everything is back and I was able to delete the watch app and reinstall it,but I hope it doesn’t happen again or I will selling the watch,I had to reinstall everything and put passwords back into some apps and pair the watch again all because the app started crashing and was unable to delete it because of a stupid catch 22 situation. For a bit more info I was on iOS 14.2 when the problem occurred and upgraded to iOS 14.3 and still wasn’t working,the iPhone is 11 pro and the watch is the SE. Hope things workout for everybody.

Dec 30, 2020 4:07 AM in response to Scoot65

I spoke with support and was able to fix the problem. I unpaired my watch from my phone, and did a factory reset of my phone. I backed up my information before the reset of course. Once reset and information was loaded back onto my phone the watch app was still there, but now was able to be deleted.

I deleted the app and downloaded it again from the App Store and everything worked fine from there.

good luck!

Apple Watch keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.