Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD 2

I have an iPad 2 and its asking for meh Apple ID that I no longer use or have. How do I change the Apple ID

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 2:01 PM

Hi uniquelyu2, you're probably encountering activation lock. Read this:

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - This is a security feature, in part to deter re-selling of stolen devices. --> http://support.apple.com/HT201365

Turn off Activation Lock --> https://support.apple.com/HT201441 - An activation lock can only be removed using the log-in information for the account that applied the lock.

If this is a device for which you are not the original owner, get the owner of the account to remove the lock or return the device for a refund. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

If you are the original owner and have forgotten the log-in information, try to recover it:

- If you forgot your Apple ID [this is likely an email address you are using or used in the past] --> https://support.apple.com/HT201354

- If you forgot your Apple ID password --> https://support.apple.com/HT201487

Otherwise:

Apple may possibly remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. The device is normally taken to an Apple Store with identification and the original sales receipt. I.e., the receipt when the item was sold to the first owner, and preferably by that person. There is apparently no set policy (I asked at an Apple Store) and a store may simply refuse, particularly if they are not satisfied you have proven ownership by provenance.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 2:01 PM in response to UniquelyU2

Hi uniquelyu2, you're probably encountering activation lock. Read this:

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - This is a security feature, in part to deter re-selling of stolen devices. --> http://support.apple.com/HT201365

Turn off Activation Lock --> https://support.apple.com/HT201441 - An activation lock can only be removed using the log-in information for the account that applied the lock.

If this is a device for which you are not the original owner, get the owner of the account to remove the lock or return the device for a refund. The device is otherwise useless to you. If the owner has not provided contact information as a message showing in the login screen there is no way to contact the owner unless the person who gave you the device knows them.

If you are the original owner and have forgotten the log-in information, try to recover it:

- If you forgot your Apple ID [this is likely an email address you are using or used in the past] --> https://support.apple.com/HT201354

- If you forgot your Apple ID password --> https://support.apple.com/HT201487

Otherwise:

Apple may possibly remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. The device is normally taken to an Apple Store with identification and the original sales receipt. I.e., the receipt when the item was sold to the first owner, and preferably by that person. There is apparently no set policy (I asked at an Apple Store) and a store may simply refuse, particularly if they are not satisfied you have proven ownership by provenance.

Dec 29, 2020 2:11 PM in response to UniquelyU2

Ya know?

At this late date and nearing 2021, I would just forget about this very old iPad.

That iPad model cannot ever upgrade beyond iOS 9.3.5/9.3.6 ( Apple is up to iOS/iPadOS 14 now ).

Your almost 10-year old, iPad 2 gen model is too old, now.

Apple ended support for 8-10 year old iPads, at least, over 3 years, ago.

The internal hardware in that iPad is too old, too underpowred and completely incompatible with all later versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Virtually, all third party iOS app developers ended/stopped/abandoned supporting these old iPads over two years, ago.

There are virtually, NO MORE older iOS 9 or 10 compatible apps available from the Apple iOS App Store, any longer.

Simply put, that 2nd gen iPad is too old and obsolete now.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

These old 8-10-year old iPads have reached the end of their life and usefulness.

You really need to seriously consider a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH, MUCH “newer” , used iPad model capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Dec 29, 2020 8:05 PM in response to MichelPM

Good points about whether or not it is worth the trouble. One big drawback when using an iPad2 is the web browser availability. Even if you can download a browser updated for iOS 9 (the highest iOS you can run on an iPad 2), all browsers rely upon code Apple has programmed into the iOS. Since this hasn't been updated in many years, even a newer browser will encounter web pages (such as Apple's own support site) that misbehave. There is no solution to this. You'll also find not many apps are available for iOS9 anymore. Using an iPad 2 is a labor of love, kind of like driving and maintaining a 60 year old car.

Dec 29, 2020 9:23 PM in response to Limnos

I already know all of this.

Am a using a brand new third party Web browser that came to old and new iPads alike

It's called Alook.

This Web browser works fantastic on old and new iPads ( supports iOS 9.0 and newer ) and is regularly updated by its lone developer.

It is a very good Web browser with lots of everyday use features that are easy to get to and use.

This has been my new default Web browser for the past 6 months.

Yeah, it still won't access the ASC on my iPad 2 or 3 though.

I can actually log in and get to posts to read, but will not let me reply and a few other things, but works just fine on all my other newer iOS 12 and iPadOS 14 devices.

Before this Web browser, it was Firefox and before that, for the past 8 years, or so, it was Perfect Browser.

I had to abandon Perfect Browser after many years as its developer just want to charge waaaay too much money now for a Web browser that, in reality, is a really full-featured, “Swiss Army” of a Web browser, buuuut....

I didn't mind paying the one time $4.99 for this Web browser, but when they updated the Web browser for 64-bit code, with iOS 11, they doubled the one-time cost to $9.99 and I just couldn't justify the cost/value of that.

Dec 29, 2020 10:39 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

I already know all of this.

The forum structure offers different types of replies as I am sure you know. A post has to "reply" to somebody's earlier post. My "activation lock" thread was a direct response to the OP's question. However, it made sense to make my comment about the vintage browser limitation a "reply" to your post to follow your starting a thread about obsolete products. I wasn't replying to you specifically, just following the thread and posting for anybody for whom this was new information and assuming anybody who knew it would just skim pass it without feeling I was talking down to them. I simply had to choose a person to whom to reply and since you brought up the vintage aspect I just added new information to it.

IPAD 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.