Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i am getting a new iMac and a 4 tb hard drive i want to buy a ssd drive for time machine how big should i get

i am getting a new iMac and a 4 tb hard drive i want to buy a ssd drive for time machine how big should i get and do i need an ssd

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 12:15 AM

Normally you use a backup drive at least twice the size of the data drive. There is no reason to use a SSD for Time Machine. A normal hard drive is fine. Time Machine is not fast, and a SSD would be a waste. The initial backup may take a while.

4 replies

Dec 30, 2020 4:55 AM in response to jayono

Use an external, 7200 RPM, 8 - 10 TB 3.5 inch drive and put it in a USB 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 2 drive enclosure. Ideally, this would be a drive intended for NAS usage (extra durability) but that also boosts the price.

I use this Startech external drive enclosure, which ships with a USB-A cable which would work with a new iMac's USB 3 ports. This is a plug-n-play device with no additional software required. Mine has been in use for four years continuous without any issues using a 2TB Toshiba N300 drive.

Dec 30, 2020 4:51 PM in response to jayono

To use SSD for TM you would need to make a RAID configuration. by putting several smaller SSD's together. I do not believe you will find a 8TB SSD (double your internal drive). I agree with the others that in your case using a large mechanical drive like perhaps the WD Gold series would provide what you want. I have used both (currently have SSD RAID setup) but I only went this way because I had a several extra SSD's that could use.

i am getting a new iMac and a 4 tb hard drive i want to buy a ssd drive for time machine how big should i get

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.