Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop autojoin WiFi

How do I stop my device from joining known networks automatically? I would like to see the list of available and my "preferred" networks and, if I want to connect, select to what network, without the device trying to connect before that moment.

I understand the device automatically advertise all my "preferred" SSIDs in all of their probe requests.  If that is correct, it makes no sense to me. It's a privacy issue. Why should I be giving away "my list of preferred WiFi networks", which will include my home network? Who, beyond me and my family, will use that network?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 8:33 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 30, 2020 8:50 AM in response to Drlje

Drlje Said:

"Stop autojoin WiFi: How do I stop my device from joining known networks automatically? I would like to see the list of available and my "preferred" networks and, if I want to connect, select to what network, without the device trying to connect before that moment. I understand the device automatically advertise all my "preferred" SSIDs in all of their probe requests.  If that is correct, it makes no sense to me. It's a privacy issue. Why should I be giving away "my list of preferred WiFi networks", which will include my home network? Who, beyond me and my family, will use that network?"

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Disable SSID Broadcast:

So, have you chosen not to broadcast the SSID? That would be a setting you would perform on your router.

1. Open: the Web browser
  2. Go to: the address bar
  3. Type: the Default Gateway (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
  4. Log In: to the Router
  5. Select: [Don't Broadcast the SSID]

B. Provide Apple with Feedback:

Do your Part: Using another computer or portable device, provide Apple with feedback on this. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more they hear of this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be included to suit their customers needs. So, for instance, if you wanted to, you'd recommend that it should not stay added to the SSID list, nor auto join something.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed form there as necessary

Dec 30, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Drlje

Settings/Wi-fi - Ask to join networks: OFF

You are mistaken about how it works. The device does NOT automatically advertise your preferred SSIDs. If your device sees a preferred network it will connect, ask if you want to connect, or not connect depending on how it is set. Even if it connects to a network it doesn’t identify you; it connects using a fake Wi-Fi address so you can’t be tracked. This feature is on by default, but you can choose to turn it off for a preferred network by turning off Private Address in the settings for that network.

Dec 30, 2020 12:36 PM in response to Drlje

Yes, Apple recommends that you only use Wi-Fi networks that are NOT hidden, because you have no way of knowing what network you are connecting to if it is hidden. You could be connecting to a different network than the one you think it is. There’s also no benefit to hiding your network, because there are hacking tools that can find the SSID of a hidden network.

See this → Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically this section:

Hidden network

Disabled

A router can be configured to hide its network name (SSID). Your router might incorrectly use ”closed” to mean hidden, and ”broadcast” to mean not hidden.

Hiding the network name doesn't conceal the network from detection or secure it against unauthorized access. And because of the way that devices search for and connect to Wi-Fi networks, using a hidden network might expose information that can be used to identify you and the hidden networks you use, such as your home network. When connected to a hidden network, your device might show a privacy warning because of this privacy risk.

To secure access to your network, use the appropriate security setting instead.

Dec 30, 2020 12:22 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you for your prompt response but that is not what I was looking for. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear.

My question was “How do I stop my device from joining known networks automatically?”

By device I meant my phone or tablet. It was not about the router or SSID broadcast from it.

It’s about the phone giving away information about my preferred WiFi networks. This may be convenient for some people or in some cases but we should have the option to select how we want our mobile devices to behave.

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2020 12:30 PM in response to Drlje

I guess you didn’t read my response, so I will repeat it in bold.

You are mistaken about how it works. The device does NOT automatically advertise your preferred SSIDs. If your device sees a preferred network it will connect, ask if you want to connect, or not connect depending on how it is set. Even if it connects to a network it doesn’t identify you; it connects using a fake Wi-Fi address so you can’t be tracked. This feature is on by default, but you can choose to turn it off for a preferred network by turning off Private Address in the settings for that network.

To make it as clear as possible, the phone IS NOT giving away information about your preferred WiFi networks. It NEVER gives away information about your preferred networks. YOU are the only one who sees your list of preferred networks in Settings/Wi-Fi. No other networks or individuals see that information.

Dec 30, 2020 12:31 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for your response. I saw some contradictions about this topic and I want to be sure which one is correct.

It all started when I tried to find out why, when you connect to a hidden WiFi, Apple recommends you to make it visible if it’s yours, to avoid privacy issues.

If your answer is correct, then I still to find out the reason for Apple’s recommendation. Do you know the reason why Apple says that?

Thank you once again

Dec 30, 2020 1:07 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the follow up Mr. Finch.

The way to connect to a hidden SSID is manually, so you’ll know what network you are connecting to.

I’m aware hackers have many tools at their disposal but some may not have the ones needed and, for the others, making them to work a little more may help, even if a little bit. Despite hackers everywhere I still use long passwords and MFA when available.

Back to my doubt, in the article you’ve sent me (thank you!), Apple seems to confirm my doubt by saying: “using a hidden network might expose information that can be used to identify you and the hidden networks you use, such as your home network.” I’ll look for the article I read with an explanation why this is the case. Again I’m still unsure if it is true but I hope this discussion may help me learn the truth.

In any case, I still think we should have the choice not to autojoin known networks. If a hacker spoof a WiFi SSID (i.e. Starbucks) and I happen to have it in my list of known networks, then I’ll be connected to it, not even realizing that.

Thanks for your patience!

Stop autojoin WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.