Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Adapters not working after BigSur OS upgrade

After upgrading to the latest OS on my MacBook my USB-C adapters are not working.

One is of Satechi manufacture and the other is a JCPAL. Satechi has a new driver download available but it won't run - I get a message saying it is not Apple approved. The JCPAL site does not appear to have any downloads available.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 1:23 PM

You have (1) a USB to USB-C adaptor, (2) connected to a 9-port USB hub, plus (3) other devices such as a printer connected to the hub.

Big Sur makes some changes to port interfaces and power management. It can affect hub compatibility. Is this a 9-port hub that draws its power from the Mac? I guess that (1) is compatible. And probably (3). But (2) might not be, at least for some of its connections.

Do you have some indication that some device(s) work(s) with your Mac through that hub under Big Sur? Does the printer work when connected through a simple adaptor but not through the hub?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 1:23 PM in response to Davidaaa1

You have (1) a USB to USB-C adaptor, (2) connected to a 9-port USB hub, plus (3) other devices such as a printer connected to the hub.

Big Sur makes some changes to port interfaces and power management. It can affect hub compatibility. Is this a 9-port hub that draws its power from the Mac? I guess that (1) is compatible. And probably (3). But (2) might not be, at least for some of its connections.

Do you have some indication that some device(s) work(s) with your Mac through that hub under Big Sur? Does the printer work when connected through a simple adaptor but not through the hub?

Dec 30, 2020 7:55 PM in response to Davidaaa1

First, try an SMC reset on your laptop.

How did you determine that the adaptors stopped working? What devices are you connecting through the adaptors? What type of adaptors are you using, adapting from what to USB-C? It is possible that the problem is with the device (or with its firmware), not with the adaptors.

It seems odd that an adaptor requires a firmware update. Are these adaptors, or hubs? Some hubs are not compatible with Big Sur. While I think you have purchased from high quality vendors, if these are simply adaptors, not hubs, you might consider trying an Apple-branded adaptor.

Dec 31, 2020 12:09 PM in response to steve626

Thank you for the response.

I did the SMC reset a couple of times with no change in the connection.

A little background - the Mac is a 2020 MacBook Air 13" now running Big Sur V 11.1. It has 2 Thunderbolt ports.

The connection device was purchased through the Apple Store at the same time as the Mac.

The connection is to a JCPAL USB-C 9 port hub with type C adapter and then connected to a printer.

I connected the printer to an older Mac through USB "B" cable and it worked so it is not the printer.

I see that there are quite a few other reports on discussions.apple.com of very similar problems.

Also see kb.plugable.com which states "As of the 11/12/2020 release of Big Sur, multiple brands of Ethernet adapters..... are incompatible with macOS11 ...... as a result of Apple's implementation of DriverKit".

USB-C Adapters not working after BigSur OS upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.