Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Sierra Mail restores via Time Machne

How to reset Sierra Mail via Time Machine restores?

About 3 days ago, my Mail app ceased to retrieve new mail. The Connector Doctor will silently spin for 10-15 minutes, then stop with no messages and no new Mail. Other Macs and IOS devices continue to access Mail without problems. My guess is that something burped and I would like to restore the Mail app on this system to where it was 3 days ago, and see if that cures whatever went wrong. So what folders do I need to restore from Time Machine backups to bring this about?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 1:54 PM

Problem solved by restoring ~/Library/Mail/ directory from a week ago via Time Machine, and then manually resetting the outgoing mail servers for the two email accounts. Also changed the DSN server address (as Calendar had begun complaining about the certificate behind the OpenDNS address) to the Google DSN address. After Mail reloaded a lot of email history overnight, things returned to normal.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2020 1:54 PM in response to Dave Lentz

Problem solved by restoring ~/Library/Mail/ directory from a week ago via Time Machine, and then manually resetting the outgoing mail servers for the two email accounts. Also changed the DSN server address (as Calendar had begun complaining about the certificate behind the OpenDNS address) to the Google DSN address. After Mail reloaded a lot of email history overnight, things returned to normal.

MacOS Sierra Mail restores via Time Machne

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.