Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is Locations in finder sidebar

• This from a help page:
  • Move files to the storage device: Select one or more files on the desktop or in a folder, then drag them to the storage device, listed below Locations in the Finder sidebar.

I don't have Locations in the finder side bar. What does it look like?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 7:26 AM

10 replies

Jan 1, 2021 4:52 AM in response to corpsman20

Only Location items that Big Sur can detect, and match the Location categories will appear in the Finder sidebar. A damaged, failing, or improperly formatted Time Machine drive may not appear. That external Time Machine drive, on Big Sur, can be formatted differently:

1. HFS+ Journaled (case-insensitive) with GUID partition scheme.
  2. APFS Journaled (case-insensitive) with GUID partition scheme.

I deliberately stated case-insensitive as this is not shown in the Disk Utility options, with Apple preferring to omit the implicit phrase. On my M1 Mac mini, I use an SSD using option 2 above, but on my Intel MacBook Air, I continue to use option 1 on a 2TB mechanical drive. I never enable Time Machine drive encryption, both from personal choice, and not wanting to deal with its overhead.

If a Time Machine drive has mounting irregularities, I would recommend that you run Disk Utility First Aid on it, and get a green successful run, or if not, run First Aid again until you do. Consistent red means replace the drive. Always observe proper drive removal through the Finder (or shutdown), before Time Machine drive removal.

Jan 6, 2021 8:35 AM in response to VikingOSX

I think I now understand the content of VikingOSX's note. The Samsung drive does not mount. If I try to format it I get the formatting options above but scheme seems to have changed to Master Record Boot. For years past it was GUID. Why did bit change?

I checked again a Toshiba drive which works well, backs up nicely on Time Machine and if I was to reformat it offers the APFS and stays on the GUID. It never has been MRB.

If the Samsung changed from GUID to MRB by itself (seemingly) how did that happen? Evidently something wrong with the Samsung. Not bothered too much about losing earlier backups, just very curious about how these things happen.

Where is Locations in finder sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.