Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Air prompts to restart

My 2020 Macbook Air with the M1 Chip prompts to restart without me doing anything. Is anyone else having this issue or have any idea's?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 1:24 PM

12 replies

Apr 10, 2021 12:53 PM in response to MrE_Z

this is a sideways view of a new MBA m1 8 core/8 core 16gb 1 terabyte ssd thingy

Did another support call after getting aggravated enough to overcome my inertia. They had me bring my machine to the Apple store, made appointment, actually got there on time(yay). An apple genius( nice people, but not necessarily smarter than me and I ain’t no Einstein, dongled it, gave it a puzzled, offended look and said, “I don’t know why it’s doing that, let me get you a new one or you may order a new one online”. I left the store with a new one which I upgraded a bit, so another $400, but that was on me not them, I could have downgraded and been refunded, but that seemed a less satisfying option. I did sorta hint that all my inconvenience was worth a little something but they all gave me the same looks all the hot girls do when I ask them out, at least they didn’t say “ewww!”

Dec 31, 2020 4:44 PM in response to MrE_Z

Is the restart action completely uncommanded? Try to get some idea of any association with specific actions or apps, then download Etrecheck from the App Store, run it and upload the report here (use the Additional Text tool for the report or it will be too long). I’m no expert yet on reading them, but we have the app developer and some other gurus around.

If that doesn’t find the problem I think it is time to call Apple Support.

Jan 2, 2021 6:00 AM in response to MrE_Z

I just bought the new mba m1 chip and every time plug into, or unplug from my external monitor my MBA force restarts. I have no idea why its doing this, and when I call Apple support they seem surprised, like Im the only one having this issue. I use thunderbolt 3 to connect them, and have adapter from monitor into wall for power. Anyone having this issue?

Feb 5, 2021 1:40 PM in response to MrE_Z

Mine does the same, it's done it since day one and usually does it at least once per day. Apple support has acted surprised and had me remove any non App Store apps and that hasn't helped at all. The only difference I'm noting between your machine's bahaviour and my machines is that mine seems to do it when the machine is unattended, no heat buildup or any of that stuff that I've always associated with random restarts in the past.

It's going on 3 months now and though I started a service request after the initial problem, it doesn't seem willing to do whatever it does when I'm working on it, so I haven't followed up.

Any legitimate ideas or hints on where I should seek answers would be appreciated.

Thank You

Feb 23, 2021 7:35 AM in response to MrE_Z

I've contacted Apple support and they had me reset the SMC which still didn't work, boot the computer into Safe Mode which still didn't work and lastly wiped the hard disk and re-install the OS so we'll see if that fixes the behavior. The computer will just randomly restart when it's in sleep mode or when waking up from sleep the prompt to restart the computer will be up.

M1 Macbook Air prompts to restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.