Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded Big Sur yesterday and now none of the Microsoft applications will work

I downloaded Big Sur yesterday and now none of the microsoft applications will work. They keep crashing when I try to open them. I tried reinstalling them and that didnt work. Also ran Disc Utility repair and that didnt help either. This is part of the message I get. Can anyone help? Many thanks

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

ExceptionEnumString: 1

Exception Code: KERN_MEMORY_ERROR (0x000000013ddd6674)

Date/Time: 2021-01-01 16:01:12 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.44.0.20121301

Crashed Module Name: dwrite10

Crashed Module Version: 16.44.0.201213

Crashed Module Offset: 0x00000000001022fe

Blame Module Name: dwrite10

Blame Module Version: 16.44.0.201213

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 1F7B01748BFD43D02A5CEB7CC6997A42

Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000001022fe

StackHash: 95ab2a4f2611b9d6-dm_1_bk_bt

Application LCID: 2057

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007000066bbfc0

Crashed thread: 8

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 8:04 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Jan 1, 2021 12:28 PM in response to leroydouglas

I hope the following is helpful to you in addressing ‘problems’ with Microsoft Office after an OS upgrade to Big Sur.

·      First, Apple has regularly informed all of us for a couple of years that at some point our old 32 bit programs would no longer work with a future OS upgrade. That has finally occurred as we have been told it would. This appears to be the case with you.

·      Any other old 32 bit programs you have installed will also be affected. They also will no longer work and will have to be upgraded or replaced.

·      If you have Microsoft Office for Mac 2016 or later, it can be upgraded at no cost. If it is an earlier version, it cannot be upgraded.

·      If a person elects not to upgrade their Microsoft Office, there are several excellent alternatives. They are the free LibreOffice and OpenOffice apps. Additionally, your Apple OS provides three free programs which you may use as an alternative to Office, Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

·      Any of these apps can and will open your older Office documents, allowing you to work with them. With them you may also create new documents and save them as Word files, etc. when you need to share files with other people who only have Office installed.

·      You should be aware that using these other apps to open Word documents will likely result in formatting changes.

·      Using any of these programs does involve a learning curve as they work a bit differently, but all of them are fine programs and they are free.

·      If you decide to upgrade an older version of Office, you have options. You may elect to subscribe to any of the following:

• Office 365 Home:  $99.99 per year or $9.99 monthly. This allows you to install Office in up to six devices. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Personal:             $69.99 per year or $6.99 monthly. This is for installation on one device only. This service must be renewed yearly. You may try the service free for one month.
    • Office Home & Student:  $149.99 one-time purchase cost. This is a purchase for installation on one device only and is not renewed or have a monthly fee. It does not expire.
    • The second and third options include fewer additional apps such as having no Outlook app. Check the Microsoft site for details.

·       Finally, and this is important, when purchasing any of these Office upgrades, you need to register your purchase on the Microsoft web site, including which device or devices the apps are installed on. This can be changed later if a device is replaced. You must do this registration or you can have problems.

In summary, Apple has warned us of the coming change to 64 bit operations only. It has occurred. Now, it is up to us to decide how to proceed. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Jan 1, 2021 12:42 PM in response to leroydouglas

The crash log shows you are using version 16.44, which is the latest 64 bit version of Office 365 or 2019.

Other than that, the crash log doesn't mean much to me. You can try this:

1. Close all Office apps, if any have managed to open and run.
  2. In your user account, go to the /Library/GroupContainers folder.
  3. Move these subfolders to the desktop:

UBF8T346G9.ms

UBF8T346G9.Office

UBF8T346G9.OfficeOneDriveSyncIntegration

UBF8T346G9.OfficeOsfWebHost

Launch any Office app and see it runs. With these items on the desktop, it should behave as if you just installed Office for the first time and will likely ask you to sign in. Do so if it asks. We're just seeing if something in the app's preferences are causing the problem.

If the apps run. Close them. Move or copy just this one folder back to the GroupContainers folder:

UBF8T346G9.Office

Choose Replace when the OS asks what you want to do. This is where all of your Outlook data is stored, among other data.

If this doesn't help at all, copy or move all of the original four folders on the desktop back to the GroupContainers folder so all of your original data is back where it came from.

Jan 1, 2021 2:12 PM in response to rev1728

Just about any user here will agree with Ronasara on CreamMyMac. Avoid any and all apps that claim to clean, optimize or speed up your Mac.

You can also check to see if the issue with Office has something to do with your main user account, or if something got seriously goofed up with the OS during the upgrade. Try both of these:

1. Start up in Safe Mode (restart and hold down the Shift key). Try any Office app.
  2. Create a new user account and login to it. Try any Office app.

In either case, if the Office apps load and run, then something in your main user account is causing the problem. If in the case of the second test they still won't launch, then the OS may be damaged. About all you can do for the latter is try installing Big Sur again, or restore the backup you made before installing Big Sur so you're at least back to a working system.

Jan 1, 2021 8:30 AM in response to rev1728

rev1728 wrote:

I downloaded Big Sur yesterday and now none of the microsoft applications will work. They keep crashing when I try to open them. I tried reinstalling them and that didnt work. Also ran Disc Utility repair and that didnt help either. This is part of the message I get. Can anyone help? Many thanks

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
ExceptionEnumString: 1
Exception Code: KERN_MEMORY_ERROR (0x000000013ddd6674)
Date/Time: 2021-01-01 16:01:12 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Bitness: x64
Application Version: 16.44.0.20121301
Crashed Module Name: dwrite10
Crashed Module Version: 16.44.0.201213
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00000000001022fe
Blame Module Name: dwrite10
Blame Module Version: 16.44.0.201213
UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 1F7B01748BFD43D02A5CEB7CC6997A42
Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000001022fe
StackHash: 95ab2a4f2611b9d6-dm_1_bk_bt
Application LCID: 2057
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809
Build Type: Release
Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007000066bbfc0
Crashed thread: 8

Update your "microsoft applications" software .

Jan 1, 2021 2:42 PM in response to rev1728

Microsoft is lying to you. I have Catalina on one partition and Big Sur on another. Office 365 is installed on both partitions and it works perfectly well on both.

Well, lying is maybe a bit strong. Office should work in Big Sur. What they possibly didn't make clear is something in the upgrade from your previous OS to Big Sur did something it shouldn't have.

If you don't have a directly restorable backup, such as with Carbon Copy Cloner of SuperDuper!, then the only way to get back to your previous OS is to completely erase the drive, then install the older OS you were using and merge in your Time Machine backup.

If you have no backup at all, then erasing the drive and rebuilding it from scratch is about your only option. Unless just reinstalling Big Sur over where you're at right now manages to fix itself.

In case of erasing the drive with no backup to restore, you MUST first backup all of your personal data. Which of course includes the Outlook database (the folder UBF8T346G9.Office), and any other personal files. Word and Excel docs, photos, etc.

I downloaded Big Sur yesterday and now none of the Microsoft applications will work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.